Water profile for stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
I'm brewing Yooper's Oatmeal Stout this weekend, and I've finally decided to look into water composition.

Anyways, a report of my local water is as follows:
GDVSo.jpg

Any ideas on additions needed?

That is a nice starting point for plenty of beers, just not so much for a stout. Adding calcium and other flavor ions will be no problem, but you will need some alkalinity to maintain the mash pH. I see from Yooper's recipe that there is a decent amount of crystal and roast malts, so its likely that the mash pH would be low.

Lime addition is the most sure option for adding alkalinity. You could also use baking soda, but I'm doubting you could get enough alkalinity in the mash water without adding too much sodium. Chalk may be too much trouble to prepare so that it is fully dissolved and it doesn't add alkalinity reliably if you just add the powder to the mash.

Enjoy!

So how would I go about figuring out the correct addition. I see that I can get pickling lime to do the trick, but I have no idea how much to add.

Is there a tool out there that's easy to use?

I see that you've loaded the water information into Bru'n Water. If you'll take a little more time and read the instructions and play with the program, you will figure this out.

Back