Questionhs regarding lagering temperatures: fermentation VS conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I'm doing my first Lager next weekend. I have a fermentation chamber and will dial it down th the temps appropriate to the yeast I select for 4 weeks initial fermentation. However, after bottling, I do not have the resources to bottle condition at those same temps. My conditioning closet is currently 77f, and my basement is 69, so 69F for 4 weeks bottle conditioning is the best I can do. Will the higher conditioning temps wake up the yeast and cause bottle bombs, or will the yeast consume all the availabel fermentables in the initial fermentation period just like an ale yeast does?

The yeast will only consume the priming sugar if the beer is fully attenuated. You can help the lager along with attenuation and do a diacetyl rest when 2/3 of the fermentation is done and you raise the temperature to 65ishF. Fermenation will finish a lot faster than keeping the beer at 50F.

An alternate plan is that you can probably do a lager in 6-7 weeks before bottling if you cold pitch (44F), free rise to 50F fermentation for the first 2/3, raise the temp to 65ishF for the last 1/3 and wait for full attenuation, transfer to a secondary vessel, cold crash to near freezing and wait 3-4 weeks before bottling, bottle condition at room temperature with priming sugar calculated based on the 65ishF temp. I think raising the temperature to ensure attenuation and doing a shorter secondary would make a better lager than a 4 week primary and no lagering period without tying up the equipment too much longer.

ok, I guess the answer is the same as we issue to all other noobs: bottle when you reach your FG. I will raise temp and not bottle until FG has been reached.

Back