Yeast starter, no stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I want to brew Sunday morning. I have all I need to make a yeast starter (my recipe calls for one), but I don't have a stir plate. If I make one today, will it be good to pitch on Sunday? I do have a stir plate on order, but it won't be here in time for me to brew this weekend. Am I jumping the gun, or can I make a quality starter without a stir plate? Thanks🍻👍

Probably not enough time for a decanted starter. Those take about a week. However, you can make a starter anyway and then just pitch everything into your wort, liquid included. Being you only have a few days, that's probably your best option.

What's the gravity of your beer and what yeast are you using? Just do a 1.5 liter starter in a growler with foil over the top. Give it a good swirl periodically for the first 24 hours and you'll be fine for all but the biggest beers or a lager. Pitch the whole thing.

Not sure what the gravity is, I would guess around 1.070. Its the dead ringer IPA from Northern. I've got the white lab California Ale yeast.

Well, I think I'll just be patient and wait for my stir plate to come next week. Really wanted to brew this weekend tho.

Thanks guys

Make a 2L starter at a lower gravity than you future wort (1.020ish) and pitch your yeast. Throw it somewhere dark for a day or two and every time you walk by it just stir it up. I like to use a cleaned tropicana oj bottle that's 1 gallon. It works great!

On a side note, are you saying your projected starting gravity is going to be 1.070? Are you going to oxygenate your wort? Jw

The research indicates that starters reach maximum yeast density in 18 to 24 hours! stretch that out to Sunday and you have plenty of time. There will probably still be active fermentation in the starter, and much of the yeast will be in suspension...so you will need to pitch the whole starter.....BUT you will have plenty of yeast.

Since there are no hops in your starter...no need to worry about light skunking it....just keep it on the kitchen counter and give it a swirl every time you walk past. You will produce almost as much yeast as with a stir plate.

Well, ok then..... I like what I'm hearing. Yeah, I'm thinking starting gravity will be in the 1.070 area.

Guess I'm anxious to do this cuz I am getting my first all grain kit next week and wanted to do my first AG brew next weekend.

On a side note, the kit I'm doing this weekend is an extract of the same all grain kit coming next week. Thought it'd be fun to taste the final outcome of extract vs. all grain of the same beer

1.070 IPA, California Ale Yeast, you're gold. Ferment a 1.5-2L starter at 70 degrees, give it a healthy swirl every time you think about it and brew as planned. Pitch your starter at 65 degrees and don't let your beer get above 68. You may be underpitching a little, but the Cal Ale Yeast will tear through your beer and leave it clean and hoppy. No worries.

Your starter should be 80-100 grams DME for every 1000 ml of water

Couldn't figure out how to upload a video but here is the link. After watching this I shortened up my starter times. I've been getting great results having them go 24-30 hrs, then chilling for 24-30 hrs and decanting. I've measured the size of the yeast cake and there seems to be no difference compared to a starter that went for 72+ hrs, and certainly my fermentations have never been better. I do use a stir plate though.

I make 1.2 liter starters at 1.040 gravity about 24 hours ahead and it's been working well. No stir plate just swirl it when I walk by

Latest posts

Back