Pin vs ball lock kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewcrew86

Reaction score
I have found a few discussion searching through hot, but not any really good threads. I want to keg...bad! What is really the difference between the two? Why is one better than the other? All i ever hear is ball locks are the best. I found a deal on some pin locks for $20 and am wondering if I should go for it, or wait for some ball locks. A brewery uses them. They are getting rid of them to put in some sankes. If $20 is a good price what is market value if I wanted to get extra to sell?

Thanks!

They are both about the same. I believe ball lock are usually a little bit taller than pin lock. As long as you get gas/liquid fittings for the keg you buy you'll be fine.

20 bucks is a good price for pin locks.

I dont find a huge diff between my pinlock or ball lock kegs, just make sure you get swivel nuts and flare Quick Disconnects for all your kegs.

If I didn't have ball, I'd go pin. No possibility of putting the gas on the beer post with a pin and they are cheaper. Win win.

They will both do the same thing for you, though.

Buy them quickly or someone else will. I use both and prefer pin-locks as I can put disconnects on/off with my eyes closed but with ball-locks I need to find my reading glasses. Pin-locks to me also seem a little stronger (maybe because they're shorter). The cons would be that pin-locks by default don't come with a manual pressure relief valve and you may be able to get one extra ball-lock in your keezer/kegerator than with pin-locks.

@ $20 I would buy as many as my wallet would allow after donating plasma and paying whatever bill was supposed to get paid that week next week... ;)

They are kinda a PITA when the majority of people have ball locks when you go to club/homebrew events because the regulator will prob not have pin stuff dedicated to it.

I also think the pin locks are shorter and fatter so you may potentially get fewer kegs int a ?x? area/keggerator/kezzer.

I see used corny kegs sell for $40-60 + shipping online and my LHBS sells them for 79.99 ea. (Yea that is all used and pressure tested.)

I have both pin and ball kegs and don't really notice a difference besides the relief valve. Having the valve is more convenient, but at $20 I would jump on those kegs now.

From the replies I am going to get them. I have a round trip drive of 300 miles but its probably worth it. I Didn't know it was so far away. That would bring them to about $30 a piece with gas money there. It's a brewery owner...maybe I can get a tour and a sample of his product?:drunk:

Thanks guys

Back