Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lab_Rat

Reaction score
So I am in the process of post holiday equipment buying. I am building a 10 gallon setup (15 gallon BK: 17.5" tall x 15" wide) but will probably be brewing 5 gallon batches in that pot as well. I will also be whirlpooling to both chill faster and remove trub. I am looking at 50ft x 1/2 O.D. immersion chillers to purchase.

My questions:
Will excess chiller (designed for 10 gallon batches) outside of wort be a contamination issue when used in a 5 gallon batch since it won't get sanitized by the boil? Would it be better to find as wide a IC as will fit rather than a tall one, thus reducing coil outside of the wort?

Since I am whirlpooling do I even need a chiller with the majority of the coils up high (i.e. Morebeer style)? Wouldn't this style (sized for 10 gallon batches) be even less effective in a 5 gallon setting?

Can anyone recommend a good commercial IC that fits my needs?

Thanks all!

I do 5g batches in a 15.5g kettle with a 75' chiller. I made the chiller as wide as I could, but it still comes 4" over the wort. I just splash some boiling wort on it with the mash paddle when it first goes in. Over the 15 minutes before flameout it gets plenty hot.

Making a chiller is too damn easy. I would just go pick up a 60' section of copper and save some money.

My opinion is that while having coils outside the boil may not bet optimal, it is probably fine since copper is such a good conductor. The copper coils are going to be at boiling temp pretty quick. Also splashing sounds to be good assurance.
Splashing sounds like a good assurance.

I am sure its fine, I wouldnt sweat it.

Thanks for the advice on keeping the unsubmerged portion of the chiller sterile.

itzkramer: I have been thinking about doing that. I just found out about this site and they sell everything in one lump kit. 1/2 OD x 50ft IC kit

Just remember, you're gonna end up cutting some off for the whirl pool attachment.

You can either buy a 60' section, or Lowes sells straight tube in about 2' lengths. Maybe you can find a bigger one than 2'.

My questions:
Will excess chiller (designed for 10 gallon batches) outside of wort be a contamination issue when used in a 5 gallon batch since it won't get sanitized by the boil? Would it be better to find as wide a IC as will fit rather than a tall one, thus reducing coil outside of the wort?

The steam from the boil will do the same job as being submerged in the boil. Stainlessbrewing.com does a good job to make custom chillers and can probably make one to fit lower in you kettle. Stainless will work just as good as copper for a whirlpool immersion chiller and is easier to clean and maintain.

Latest posts

Back