Carbonation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suilesre

Reaction score
Brewed a all grain triple about 3 months ago. It spent 17 days in the primary bottled with appropriate amount of priming sugar (used an online calc). Waited 3 weeks and stuck one in the fridge, flat. As it is 8.4% ABV I thought to wait another 3 weeks.

Opened one this weekend and same very slightly carbonated bottles. I mixes the priming sugar really well so I don't know what to do. Should I add some champagne yeast and more priming sugar, or just drink it as a cask ale? Reaching out for some advice.

wait longer....you said the first was flat...second was slightly carbed.....wait a little longer.

As Ohiosteve says, the carbonation will improve with a little more time. Also, you need to let the beer sit for some time in the fridge (like a day or more) for the CO2 in the headspace to be fully absorbed into the beer.

Minky said:
As Ohiosteve says, the carbonation will improve with a little more time. Also, you need to let the beer sit for some time in the fridge (like a day or more) for the CO2 in the headspace to be fully absorbed into the beer.

Before opening the fist one it was in the drive for 48 hours and the second was about 36. I guess I will just wait some more and brew something in the meantime.

High gravity beers do need to sit awhile at 70F or so carbing & conditioning. My dark whiskley ale sat one day shy of 10 weeks. Then two full weeks fridge time to get decent head & carbonation. And it def takes more than a day or two to get good carbonation & head. 1 to 2 weeks depending on the beer from my experiences.

Just a quick update the beer never carbed up. I tried multiple things with different bottles to no avail. It's too bad because the flavor is great there is just no carbonation.

Just out of curiosity what level c02 did you go for? What size batch was it and how much and what kind of sugar did you use?

OG 1.075
FG 1.018

Batch size was 3 gallons, i was going for 2.5 volumes CO2 and I used 2.6 ounces cane sugar boiled with a small amount of water. It may be may scale is way off. This just reinforced the need to take better notes.

Give it MORE TIME to carbonate. It's not unheard of for higher ABV brews to take 3-6 MONTHS to actually carbonate. Once it has, chill for at least a week before pouring. I would test one about once a month until it has carbonated.

Golddiggie said:
Give it MORE TIME to carbonate. It's not unheard of for higher ABV brews to take 3-6 MONTHS to actually carbonate. Once it has, chill for at least a week before pouring. I would test one about once a month until it has carbonated.

Will do, I have stashed the remaining bottles under the stairs and do the once a month thing. The last two I put in, I let chill for two and three weeks to see if that was the issue.

Back