PM - Founder's Breakfast Stout: Enough diastatic power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorningGloryBrew

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm brewing a PM version of the Founder's Breakfast Stout clone this weekend and picked up my ingredients today after doing the math to sub some extract for 6 of the 9 lbs of 2 row.

In addition to the extract, my grain bill is:
  • 3 lbs 2 row
  • 22 oz. flaked oats
  • 1.0 lb. crisp chocolate malt (412L)
  • 12 oz. roast barley malt (300L)
  • 9 oz. debittered black malt (550L)
  • 7 oz. crystal malt (120L)

I've been partial mashing for a while but this is my first time doing the conversion from AG myself; my question is will this have enough diastatic power to fully convert, or do I need to sub out some of the extract for another pound of 2 row? (I'd do the math on this myself but haven't found a list of Lintner values for those grains; anybody have a link?)

I'll BIABing in my 5 gallon brew kettle so I have some space to give, but not a ton.

3 lbs 2 row should have sufficient diastatic power to convert itself and 22 oz flaked oats. The other items don't require conversion, so you should be OK.

-a.

Agreed, 3 pounds of two row is more than enough to convert the wheat. I just did an America wheat beer with 50% 2 row and 50% flaked wheat with good conversion.

Thanks for the responses, fellas. Did some more searching on the forum last night and came across this thread, and thought the rule of thumb it mentioned—that roasted & crystal malts don't need to be mashed—was really helpful.

Thanks again.

Back