Adding Orange Peel to Secondary - Sanitation and Technique Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rango

Reaction score
Hola all. I have a Saison that has been in the secondary for a week or so and I want to add some orange characteristics. I talked to the guy at my homebrew store and he said the best way to add the sweet/bitter orange peel would be to put it in a grain bag and weigh it down with non-reactive metal weights (I got stainless steel bolts).

I am concerned about adding the grain bag and weights for sanitation purposes.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar technique or if anyone could comment on if this is feasible. The other option I am leaning toward is just dropping in the sweet/bitter orange peel - it would just be less effective floating on the top of the beer though I feel.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

I use citrus zest in some of my beers (you should really use only fresh zest, not the whole peel, but that's another discussion). I put the zest in a weighted hop bag, with long string attached, in a jar and add enough vodka to cover and let that steep for a few days. The bag is weighted with glass marble-like beads used in flower arranging I got from a craft store. When I'm ready, I put the bag in the fermenter, using the string to suspend it roughly in the middle of the beer. I add the steeping vodka tot he beer as well. Then again, sometimes I skip the bag and just dump the steeped zest and vodka into the beer.

Back