Contemplating E-HERMS w/ BCS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
I am wanting to do an E-HERMS system and have been thoroughly reading over the information and step at theelectricbrewery.com, but I think for the control piece I am going with the BCS to save money on that front.

One thing I've notice from PJ's wiring diagrams for 2 burners is there are still massive control boxes/panels that need to be created with Control Switches and such. I was under the impression that all control could be done through the web interface of the BCS, telling the elements & pumps to turn on/off. Is this not the case?

Also is there a gold standard build thread that I should follow on the BCS for a 3 keggle/kettle HERMS setup?

I like having a manual control switch on the box w/o having to use th EPO. Because no matter how fast you are on the web interface it takes just a few seconds longer to apply and update before the change takes effect.

I like having a manual control switch on the box w/o having to use th EPO. Because no matter how fast you are on the web interface it takes just a few seconds longer to apply and update before the change takes effect.

So what's the point of the BCS? Are you changing temperature manually with a PID?

Seems to me if you are using PIDs then the BCS is purely for logging.

I have seen several designs with 3way switches for manual/off/auto(bcs) mode for elements and pumps. In theory you don't need this and everything can be run through bcs but it is nice to have a manual mode backup.

Bcs can provide pid functionality and additional automation. For every bcs output (5v?) you still need an ssr to control high voltage

Bcs can provide pid functionality and additional automation. For every bcs output (5v?) you still need an ssr to control high voltage

And if you are concerned about the SSR leakage current and the potential for it to fail closed (on), then you also need a mechanical contactor and and a means to switch it, for each SSR.

I do run run in manual/off/auto (bcs) mode with my switches. I think you're missing the pieces recommended for safety with using the SSRs and Contactors while working with high voltage.

Latest posts

Back