apricot wheat...when do i transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firenemus

Reaction score
I'm trying out a recipe for an apricot wheat (close to the one found in Jamil and johs book) and I need some help deciding when to rack from the primary to the fruit in the secondary. My starting gravity was 1.053 and I'm using Wyeast 1010. The authors simply say to rack when the fermentation begins to slow down, which is a little too subjective for me. So does anyone have a target gravity I should shoot for? My estimated final gravity is around 1.013 and I'm currently three days in the primary. Thanks for any help!

I would look at the readings for stability, not a particular amount of attenuation. If you're going to physically transfer from one carboy to another I would definitely wait until fermentation ends to avoid a stuck fermentation and possibly not getting good fermentation out of the apricots, which sometimes happens when you transfer prematurely. If you're just dumping apricots in the same vessel used for primary fermentation then you're probably ok to dump them in now.

Thanks again Apache! So is there an advantage either way. I usually wash my yeast, but I don't plan on keeping this batch, so I could just dump the can of puree on top of the yeast cake. I'd rather not go through the trouble of racking if there is little to no benefit. What would you advise? Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back