Motorized Grain Mills: Time to show them off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my grinding station completed this week and took some pics to post up here.

Have to thank a whole bunch of posters here for leads on parts, ideas I borrowed, and details I incorporated - especially the whole CCW rotation thing for the gear motor. This wee beastie works great and it's going to be a pleasure to use.

I rarely build anything without a plan, so after taking a lot of measurements of the mill, motor and coupler, the next thing was to do a detailed drawing of the whole works so I could figure out how everything would fit together. One of the constraints I added was to avoid having to buy any materials, as my wee shop was loaded with scraps from many projects and I wanted to use them up.

grinding_station_sm.jpg

The design I came up with made extensive use of my router table, as it has a lot of double-stopped dados and rabbets to hold the MDF panels between the various frame members, that can't practically be done without a table-mounted router.

The base uses a 3/4" thick piece of MDF, the top a 3/4" thick piece of plywood, the frame is 1x3 pine, the side panels are 1/4" MDF, the riser for the mill and the "garage" for the start capacitor are hard maple, all left-overs from various projects. The framing pieces are attached to each other and to the base and top with pocket screws for easy assembly; this was a virtually glue-free build. The casters were salvaged from a cheap tv cart that one of my sons brought home from college years ago that I had turned into kindling - and they're mounted to a pair of machined 2x4 pine carriers attached to the underside of the base.

On the electrical side, the wiring was from an old PC power supply that had died years ago, the power cord was an old extension cord, the electrical box and the DPDT/center off toggle switch I had on hand. The extension for the grain hopper was fabricated from a 1'x2' sheet of aluminum that I had bought for a project but never used.

So aside from the mill, motor and coupler, the only parts I had to buy were the two hinges, the door knob, the magnetic catch for the door, and the face plate for the switch. And a package of plastic "report covers" (see below). Even the primer and finish paint were left-overs, and as my two beer fridges and keezer are all "Appliance White", my mill is bright white as well.

grain_mill_station_01_sm.jpg

grain_mill_station_02_sm.jpg

grain_mill_station_03_sm.jpg

The tricky part of this design was coming up with a secure mount for the motor while making sure its drive shaft would line up on all three planes with the mill's drive shaft. This basically came down to a lot of caliper measurements from end to end, using that data to build models of the mill, motor, and coupling in my drawing program, then positioning the models in the drawing. That provided all of the alignment and elevation details needed to go the rest of the way.

Instead of using the four through-bolts at the gear box face to mount the gear motor to an angle plate, I went a different way: there are a pair of unthreaded tooling holes on the underside of the motor that I tapped for 10-24 screws driven up through the top and through a spacer to provide the right elevation for the motor. I also ran a 10-32 screw up through the table into the bottom most standoff for the fan shroud at the rear. This provided a rigid mount that is more than strong enough to resist torque-induced movement, and made for a really clean looking build.

grain_mill_station_04_sm.jpg

The height of the interior opening was defined around a standard food grade five gallon plastic bucket. I plan on installing a small canvas "chute" around the opening under the mill that will drop a couple of inches into the bucket just to cut down on random bits of grist missing the bucket. Probably gilding the lily, but that's SOP in my shop.

grain_mill_station_05_sm.jpg

The electrical bits. The starter capacitor is housed in its own little garage, sandwiched in between some foam padding.

grain_mill_station_06_sm.jpg

The grain bin extension nestles into the mouth of the stock hopper, and is held together with aluminum pop rivets. I used my bench vise and a veneer roller to make the corner bends. The corner joints are doubled-lapped for extra strength.

grain_mill_station_07_sm.jpg

That exposed metal edge clearly needed to be covered with something, so I picked up a package of clear "report covers" that come with plastic binding bars and cut them to fit around the rim. Much safer - and it stiffens up the sheet metal as well.

grain_mill_station_08_sm.jpg

I've used the mill with an 18 volt drill it's always worked great, especially if I took the time to condition the grain. But I always thought it would be neat to build a station around it to contain the dust and not have to stand there holding the drill all the time. With all of the ideas I found here that idea became a reality.

So thanks to all you Great Unnamed who went before me, I definitely appreciate all of the great information provided that made this a pretty easy build :mug:

Cheers!

Nice work day trippr. That is super clean. Have you thought about cutting off that shaft that extends out the back of the motor?

Nice work day trippr. That is super clean. Have you thought about cutting off that shaft that extends out the back of the motor?

Thanks for the kind words. This was a fun little project that came out pretty decent.

I actually did think about getting out the Dremel with a cut-off wheel and shortening that tail shaft. And if it stuck out beyond the edge of the table I'd probably have done it already.

When I drafted the design I placed the motor so the very end of that shaft would be just inside the edge of the top, so it wouldn't get snagged on a door jam or something and bend. That pretty much removed any urgency to cut it off, but I might get to it this weekend...

Cheers!

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

12v dc motor , 12mm shaft , lovejoy coupling.

currently using 10A adjustable power supply.
the mill is placed on top a plastic bucket when in use.
20 liter water jug as a hopper (not pictured).

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

12v dc motor , 12mm shaft , lovejoy coupling.

currently using 10A adjustable power supply.
the mill is placed on top a plastic bucket when in use.
20 liter water jug as a hopper (not pictured).

Interesting mill. What are the specs on your motor?

Im sorry but i think we just became best friends, do you want to go do karate in the garage?

My first car was a schoolbus yellow 72' fj40. I rebuild every inch of that rig and it started an obsession with engines that has taken more money from me than beer and homebrewing has.

:mug:Cheers to a TLC owning beer brewing and PTO crushing guy.

Maybe someone here can help me with an electrical question. Yesterday I added the 177.7 rpm motor from surplus center to my barley crusher and added a three-position switch (on-off-on). When I tested the motor, both ON positions spun the motor counter clockwise although the motor seems to be turning a little faster in one of the positions. I wired it per the attached diagram. My only guess is that the capacitor is bad but that is just a shot in the dark. Anyone have any ideas?

millmotorwiring.jpg

clearwaterbrewer, you are correct. Now that I look at the schematic that I posted (I copied it from another thread) I see that it is not quite an accurate depiction of what I have. I believe I have the 20 MFD capacitor, it is the one the surplus center provided. My wiring is exactly the same as the hand written diagram in your post except I am using a single three position switch and the red wire is black on my motor.

Update on my 177.7 rpm motor that will not turn clockwise. I called Surplus Center tech department and reviewed the wiring. I also told him that the motor was warm to touch after running motor for only 20 seconds with no load. He decided that they would send me a new motor and capacitor and that I do not need to bother returning the defective motor/capacitor. Great service!

One day I'll build a nice looking stand for my mill but this is what I have so far. Built a quick 20 minute stand since I needed to crush some grain for a brew. 1/4hp motor I had laying around in the attic, gear drive JSP malt mill adjustable at the one end, 13.94" pulley on the mill, 1-3/4" pulley on the motor and my quick built stand. Runs a bit over 200 rpms and crushes great! Hopper holds roughly between 20-25 lbs of grain.

image-3931746025.jpg

I was just given a Schmidling Malt Mill, and I'm going to couple it up with this:
image_12500.jpg

I know Harbor Freight tools are crap, but I got it for $60. I've removed the D-handle and the other handle, and I can mount it to the base that the mill sits on. I'm also thinking I'll rewire the trigger to a standard on/off switch. On low speed it turns at 340 rpm, and it's very torquey. Hopefully it'll work great, and when it dies, I'll either buy another one, or do something nicer.

I have the same exact motor. Do you have a wiring diagram you can point me in the right direction?
Thanks

I upgraded my motor to a bodine gear motor with 120 in/lbs of torque. Cost more, about $150 on ebay. Was brand new, though. But it works fantastic. Easily started up with 20lbs in the hopper already. Milled 32 lbs of grain for today's brew day.

I'm glad the 40 in/lb motor worked for you. But I'd caution others to try that motor with a 3 roller mill anyway. My only problem was torque. I had mine wired the same as yours, so who knows what the difference was. Maybe the capacitor on mine wasn't working properly. Anyway, here's a pic of my new mill setup. :D

8bf78c68.jpg

I should be receiving that same bodine motor today or tomorrow. I bought the 177 rpm motor from surplus supply, flipped the direction of my rollers to be CCW and when I got everything mounted the motor was not nearly strong enough for my MM3.0-2.

I have the same exact motor. Do you have a wiring diagram you can point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My motor actually doesn't use a capacitor. The capacitor in the picture was the one I used with my surpluscenter.com motor. I just never removed it from the table.

So I think you must have a different motor. All I did was wire mine to a simple on/off switch.

Is yours reversible?

I know mine is not. I would first try using the wiring diagram posted a few posts back in this thread. If your motor is not reversible, just call Bodine motors customer service. I did that with a different motor and they emailed my the wiring diagram about five minutes after the phone call.

Best of luck. You'll love having a motorized mill.

Cheers!:mug:

I should be receiving that same bodine motor today or tomorrow. I bought the 177 rpm motor from surplus supply, flipped the direction of my rollers to be CCW and when I got everything mounted the motor was not nearly strong enough for my MM3.0-2.

Yeah, I had the exact same experience. The bodine motor works great. :D

Hi all -
I am trying to motorize my Barley Crusher with this motor: Gearmotor, AC, 157 RPM - Gearmotors - Gearmotors - 2Z849 : Grainger Industrial Supply mentioned originally in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/157-rpm-ac-gearmotor-sale-grainger-281761/

Anyway, I have an on-off switch wired up and have verified the motor operates. Now I would like to have the ability to change the direction (reverse polarity) of the motor from clockwise to counter-clockwise.

This motor (single phase, 115V) is wired up as having leads T1& T8 to hot, T4 & T5 to neutral. I believe that T1 and T4 are for run, T8 and T5 control start-up direction as the motor "manual" indicates that T8 and T5 should be interchanged to reverse. That is, T1&T5 to hot, T4&T8 to neutral.

Here's my issue. What switch do I need between the SPST power switch and the motor and how should it be wired. I originally thought I just needed a SPDT (e.g. "3 way light switch) to switch the hot between T8 & T5, but now realize that this doesn't solve the problem of the return leg also needing to be switched.

Any ideas? I know this should be simple, but I can't get my head around it! Do I need something special? (I noticed drum switches in trying to research this). Can I somehow use a 4 way light switch, or a DPDT switch? What is the least expensive yet safe way to wire this?

Thanks!

Edit. Figured it out. Duh. Finally worked out in my head that I needed a double pole double throw switch. So the solution is to have a normal on/off switch, then take the hot and neutral from it as inputs to the DPDT which I needed to wire in a cross fashion. Thus, when the dpdt is one way, hot goes to t5 and the neutral (return) from t8, and when the switch is the other way hot to T8 and neutral to T5. Finally, the other two leads (T1 and T4 if I remember correctly) don't go via the DPDT, but are connected to the power on/off switch. (All of this is via pigtails to only ever have one line screwed into a terminal post position.) Now that I have it working, tomorrows project is to get a another enclosure for the dpdt toggle and pigtails.

Mpez that looks awesome! What a clean design.

Here's my clunky effort to motorize my MM3. For sentimental reasons I wanted to use the motor I played around with growing up, and for space reasons I used the right-angle gear-reducer and cantilevered it over the table.

It works great, and it's worth noting the binding issues that plagued my brew day when I used a corded drill disappear with this much torque. :mug:

mill.jpg

There are some nice mills in this thread, mine may not be as pretty but it was cheap. Initially I was not sure it would work so I built it out of some scrap left over flat stock from my keezer build.

Space is limited in the shed so I wanted something that I could hang up out of the way. It probably took me about 20 minutes to make. I ended up cantilevering it off the side of my old Shopsmith. With the three pulleys it amounts to a 10:1 ratio and 175 rpm.

Its hard to see but here is my MM3 hanging in the window.
keezer005.jpg

Here is a shot of it mounted to the shopsmith
keezer001-1.jpg

A shot of the pulleys
keezer002-1.jpg

My logo (8hrs of work)

millhopperrearweb.jpg

Custom fabbed belt tensioner:

tensioner2.jpg

Other side has the state of Alaska burned into it, need to do more work. Otherwise, it's just paint, cheap and easy but really makes the mill look good.

IMG_20110512_221443.jpg

I've made mills for friends and I can say that 1: a good motor isn't cheap and 2: barley crushers are total ****.

grainmill.JPG

MM3 with 1/3 HP motor, picked up a boston gear right angle reduction gear 10:1 ratio on ebay. The table is from IKEA, saw someone else use it in this thread and its really the perfect size. Wired an outlet for the scale underneath.

I finally got a mill!

My Monster 2.0 with the 1/2 shaft option.
The mill, belt and screws were the only new parts. The rest was scrounged.
I mounted the mill up a bit so the pulley would be above the base. No issues setting it on a bucket or my mash tun. Scrap plexi for the base, used motor and pulleys, and I made the hopper out of scrap heating duct material. It aint pretty but it works great.
100_2149.jpg

100_2150.jpg

100_2151.jpg

Here's mine:

After some help from DayTripper and inspiration from ClarnoBrewer I just got finished motorizing my AWESOME Rebel Brewer Mill. This thing is built like a tank and now thats it's powered it has no problem crushing grain!

Thanks to all who have provided me with inspiration and guidance!!

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

Here's mine:

After some help from DayTripper and inspiration from ClarnoBrewer I just got finished motorizing my AWESOME Rebel Brewer Mill. This thing is built like a tank and now thats it's powered it has no problem crushing grain!

Thanks to all who have provided me with inspiration and guidance!!

That is very nice! Is that a repurposed drill press? Sorry if I missed seeing one similar to this earlier in this thread, or elsewhere.

Not a drill press just a re-purposed 90 Degree 2 speed Harbor Freight drill!! Best money can buy. Made a ***** outta 27 lbs of grain yesterday, no biggie just a IIPA;-)

Nick

PuckeredPenguin said:
Not a drill press just a re-purposed 90 Degree 2 speed Harbor Freight drill!! Best money can buy. Made a ***** outta 27 lbs of grain yesterday, no biggie just a IIPA;-)

Nick

What model is that and also how many rpm's does it run at?

Back