Chest Freezer and Baking soda???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadS99SVT

Reaction score
So we just got a used chest freezer to ferment our beer in a temperature controlled environment. This freezer is going to be solely used for this. Should we throw some baking soda in there to keep the random smells out??

The freezer is pretty clean and doesn't really have a overwhelming smell.

I am starting to think it will be fine since the beer is sealed anyway.

What are you guys doing??

Where'd you get it? Craigslist?
Which Ad?

Damn!!!! Do I have CraigsList competition now?:eek:

EDIT:
Congrats.

If the freezer doesn't have any overwhelming smells right now.....it might once you start fermenting in there.

:phaha yeah craigstlist >* :mug:

not sure how good of a deal we got but it was the 7cuft chest freezer. it's pretty new and appears to be in really good shape $70.

we are trying to calibrate the temperature now...

about to do some searches but we are starting to wonder if we can keep it warm enough.

You'll need an external thermostat controller to get it to ferment temps

yeah that's the one...:ban:

yeah just did some searching and I realize that we need one. anychance lowes or homedepot sells something like that???

we are bout to brew a new batch and would love to use the freezer:fro:

I never have looked there. If you wait until Saturday, that's the day the LV brew shop opens. He may carry one.

I never have looked there. If you wait until Saturday, that's the day the LV brew shop opens. He may carry one.
yeah we will see...I may try calling homedepot/lowes and see how far I get....but that may just give me a headache trying to explain it to them.:mad:

I can't wait for the brew store to open! Have you been by or do you know anything about it?? hope it's good:ban:

Back