Making prickly pear juice for mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talenos

Reaction score
So, I tried out the idea from the Joy of Homebrewing and made a 5 gallon batch of mesquite honey mead about a year ago.

I wanted to add prickly pear juice, but couldn't find any for the longest time. Finally got my hands on some a few weeks back and since I never had worked with prickly pears before, I thought I'd take some videos of the process.

Here's the result, in case anyone is interested in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it was my first time using them, so I have to go by my first impressions. It tasted a little melony to me. Milder then I expected I guess. Seems like a good compliment to hte mead. Boiling didn't really seem to effect the flavor at all.

A prickly pear margarita seems like it would taste pretty good.

mmmmmmmmmmm this sounds good. I'm thinking about making a local honey - prickly pear - agave mead, but I don't have the first idea of where to start. I know I can get local prickly pear syrup, and definitely imported (MAYBE local, if I'm lucky) agave syrup. Any suggestions?

I made some Prickly Pear Mead last year. I am now at the point of actually drinking it. The stuff is great! So great in fact that I decide to make some more. I picked my own Prickly Pears from a road in Somis, California. I learned a great deal about how to select the right Prickly Pears and how to extract the best parts of the Prickly Pears, from the best Prickly Pears. This year I am making a 9-gallon batch using 15lbs of Prickly Pear prime pulp along with 36 pounds of honey.

Back