Easiest counterpressure fill ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatepickingnames

Reaction score
I just filled a bomber at full 14psi with almost no foam. It worked very well. Its made of my old spring loaded bottle filler tube, a small drilled stopper, a small zip tie, and a 1 5/8ths length piece of 7/16 OD vinyl tube. I zip tied the tube on one end of the bottle filler and removed the spring filler from the other end. The tubing fits right inside my perlick plated faucet. Where it flares over the filler wand makes a nice seal. Set the depth of the wand to just above the bottom of the bottle and just press the bottle in the direction of the faucet and not one leak. Open faucet and use your free hand to slowly bleed off the stopper and your done.:rockin:

Well.....i cant manage to attach from my phone. I did a twelve oz tonite and it worked well. The stopper size is critical. Perfect for bomber but a tad s. mall for sam adams bottle. Its a rather soft stopper which helps the seal.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

So it's just a tube shoved on a racking cane shoved into a faucet with a stopper.

Yes. However, its a straight bottling wand. No bend like in a cane. I can take OD and ID measurements if anyone wants to try it. Most have this stuff sitting sround already.

...a little misleading to call it a "counterpressure" filler - as there is no CO2 flush of the bottle prior to filling, there is no gas pressure to "counter" against - a "pressurized" filler may be more accurate, as the only pressure is that of the dissolved CO2 coming out of solution in the bottle (which will result in a decrease in carbonation and possibly shelf life. Any temperature differences will encourage more CO2 to come out of solution. With a simple "sealed bottling wand" approach, keeping your "filler", your bottles, your keg, and your working space at a consistent temperature will help the CO2 remain in the liquid.

I have almost the exact same thing. Mine is permantly connected to a picnic tap. I did try the bottle filler (with the spring loaded deal), but now I just have straight piece like you show there.

I've gotten rid of the stopper. I used it for a while, but it was a pain. I find that if the beer is well carbed, cold, and if the bottles are cold, I get just enough foam to cap onto and decent carbonation.

Call it what u like. With a cold bottle, it provides a controlled slow fill at full pressure. Cap on the foam that rises and your headspace is co2.

Back