American Pale Ale attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szimdars

Reaction score
So I've tried my hand at a couple pale ale clones now and they've been AWESOME but I want to be a little more proprietary with my brewing. Copycatting (or trying to) is only so satisfactory.

My favorites are Dale's, Sierra Nevada, and Deschutte's and so, in light or my love, I have concocted the below as a tribute of the best of all (or so I hope). Let me know what you think, and any ideas to get closer to that proverbial sex-in-a-bottle would be greatly appreciated as always.:tank:

5.25 Gallon Batch - Extract with Grains

6.25# Pils/Light LME

½# Crystal Malt 20L
½# Crystal Malt 80L
½# Caramel Malt 60L
½# Munich Malt

153 degrees – 30min
60 Minute Boil

½ oz Magnum – boil
½ oz Cascade – boil
1 oz Cascade – 30 minutes
½ oz Cascade – 15 minutes
½ oz Cascade – 5 minutes
½ oz Cascade – 0 minutes

5-7 day primary
7 day secondary

1.125C priming sugar
28 day bottle condition

Looks good, although you may be better off splitting up that 30 minute ounce over the last three additions or dry hopping with it.

I find that with pale ales, the rule KISS is best. Simple grain bill, and not too much hops, otherwise, you'll have an IPA on your hands. So, I'd use your selected LME with maybe 12-16oz of crystal 60 or 40, and hop as you choose. If aroma is your thing, I'd drop the 30 minute additon and add it to your flame out, or dry hop as robtotten suggested.

Good stuff, guys. You've certainly nailed my very two concerns here. I think I will cut crystal to 1/2# of 40L and then kill the 30 minute and bump the flame out to a full ounce.

Back