Moving hot kettle after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remuS

Reaction score
Hello -

I just moved from MT to Austin TX and am in a complex... talking to the HOA members, I got the OK to use my burner and brew some beer out in the courtyard.

Unfortunatley, there are no hoses out there for me to use (I asked). My current thoughts are to wheel the hot kettle in afterwards and to connect hoses to the wort chiller. Besides the dangers of moving hot wort... what are some thoughs on how to actually move the kettle? I could likely lugg it inside as it's only about 50 feet but would rather not risk burns and ruined beer.

Would a keg dolly work? I've seen them for around 40 dollars. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

You could always buy a pump and recirculate a tub of ice water, but that would require a nearby outlet, a pump, and you'd still have to lug the ice and water...at least it would be cold. You could also just run a really long hose from your house.

If you could get a metal keg dolly that would work, but hot wort is not something to take lightly...

Hello -

I just moved from MT to Austin TX and am in a complex... talking to the HOA members, I got the OK to use my burner and brew some beer out in the courtyard.

Unfortunatley, there are no hoses out there for me to use (I asked). My current thoughts are to wheel the hot kettle in afterwards and to connect hoses to the wort chiller. Besides the dangers of moving hot wort... what are some thoughs on how to actually move the kettle? I could likely lugg it inside as it's only about 50 feet but would rather not risk burns and ruined beer.

Would a keg dolly work? I've seen them for around 40 dollars. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

If it's only 50 ft, why not run hoses to the kettle? You probably only need to run the cold water supply that far. A short discharge hose to a nearby drain would be all you need.

I think it would be seriously worth the effort to find a way to chill before moving.

Moving large quantities of near-boiling liquid is not a matter of if but when.

If it's near your place, get a hose adapter for a sink faucet and run a hose out the window. Pay special attention to gaskets when doing this though.

I always do the opposite and lug six gallons of boiling wort outside. I'm never very happy about it, though. It helps to be prepared, make sure there's nothing to trip over, etc. I'd run a hose through the window if I could make it work.

Even 100ft of garden hose isn't that expensive. I'd definitely just get a long garden hose for the wort chiller. Maybe invest in a longer piece of outlet tubing for the chiller too so you can water the plants more effectively in the courtyard and make everyone happy with that. :) Good luck getting it all setup.

And don't forget to share your home brew with those individuals who gave you the "go ahead" for using the courtyard. Never hurts to "bribe the officials" with beer :)

Latest posts

Back