Easy Amber Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have a simple, quick, easy, delicious Amber recipe? Hook a brewer up.

I have a planned backpacking trip over Christmas with my pops and brother. I figured I would make us some beer to celebrate when we got done and am making a stout. Turns out that I am the only one that likes a stout. They both prefer ambers so I am going to whip one up in time. Want to keep it simple and quick though.

Danke!
E

You're looking for an American amber? Do you want a solid but simple amber, something like Fat Tire, or do you want a hoppy amber like a West Coast type amber? Those are ambers, too, but sometimes called American Red. I like Bell's Amber, if you've ever had that, which is sort of in the middle.

Fat Tire type ambers are really popular with non-hopheads.

We could probably come up with something quick and easy if you can help us out with more of what you're looking for.

Do you need an extract or all-grain recipe?

Something similar to Bells would be perfect. Not a big fan of fat tire even though I know everyone loves it. I mean, its drinkable but I am not sure how to say this, it doesn't really have good flavors in my opinion. I would describe it as "blah". Most of the good ones I have had have all been micro brews ( I think I mentioned I don't frequently consume commercial beers).

Well, I like Bell's amber, and I get citrus from it in a subdued way.

I don't have any software on this computer to help with OG and IBUs, but I'll guestimate a good recipe.

.75 pound crystal 20L
.50 pound crystal 60L
1 pound Munich malt

5 pounds DME (or OG to 1.055 or so)

Hops:
.5 ounce magnum or galena (to 20 IBUs with this addition)
.5 ounce cascade 15 minutes
.5 ounce willamette 10 minutes
.5 ounce cascade flame out
.5 ounce willamette flame out

This should be 1.055 OG, with 30-35 IBUs. I think it would be really good, with a hoppy nose and finish. The cascades are "citrusy", but the willamette have some "earthy" notes. It goes nice together, but it's not overpowering. If you're afraid your guest won't like so much hops aroma and flavor, you could cut the willamette and cascade in half.

Use a "clean" well attenuating ale yeast (I like WLP001) and ferment at 66 degrees. That should give you a nice amber.

my house amber is 5# munich, 5# vienna, 1# 2row, 0.5# crystal 60. 3oz Saaz: 1 ounch at 60, 18, 5. mashed at 152.

it gets good reviews.

Well, I like Bell's amber, and I get citrus from it in a subdued way.

I don't have any software on this computer to help with OG and IBUs, but I'll guestimate a good recipe.

.75 pound crystal 20L
.50 pound crystal 60L
1 pound Munich malt

5 pounds DME (or OG to 1.055 or so)

Hops:
.5 ounce magnum or galena (to 20 IBUs with this addition)
.5 ounce cascade 15 minutes
.5 ounce willamette 10 minutes
.5 ounce cascade flame out
.5 ounce willamette flame out

This should be 1.055 OG, with 30-35 IBUs. I think it would be really good, with a hoppy nose and finish. The cascades are "citrusy", but the willamette have some "earthy" notes. It goes nice together, but it's not overpowering. If you're afraid your guest won't like so much hops aroma and flavor, you could cut the willamette and cascade in half.

Use a "clean" well attenuating ale yeast (I like WLP001) and ferment at 66 degrees. That should give you a nice amber.

Holy crap. That is WAY over my beer IQ.

Oh wait the crystal are grains.
So steep those for 30, bring to a boil, add galena, boil 45 mins, add cascade hops with 15 mins to go, willamette with 10 mins to go. cut flame, add remaining cascade and willamette. Cool, pitch, ferm.
?

crap forgot the DME. Where does that get added? and the munich?

Cheezy got the simple part right at least :eek:

Back