HERMS setup question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Climber

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advice on setting up a HERMS system. Currently I use a 10gal igloo round cooler for my Mash tun. I am hoping to get a chugger pump for Christmas.

I know the ideal HLT HERMS setup would be to get a coil with weldless fitting out the side of a pot. But in an effort to stay with in spending limits and purchase things as I save the money, I was thinking about getting the below SS “pre-chiller” coil.

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/wort-chillers/stainless-steel-wort-chiller-pre-chiller.html

To circulate my wort, I would come out the bottom of my mash tun, into this coil with the tops of the coil just coming out the top of the pot. As far as heating, I would use my propane burner, keeping an eye on temp in the mash. Then back to the mash tun through the top, making a manfold though the lid of the cooler. My final setup, as funds allow, would be to install a heater element though the pot to regulate my HLT with the coil in it…but this will be after I get a new brew pot to use as a BK.

My concern is that coil sitting on the bottom of the pot, with the propane burner running to keep the water hot..will it scorch the wort as it circulates?

Also, as funds allow, I would want to configure this coil to go through the side of the pot…how hard do you think this might be with weldless bulkhead and compression fittings?

Also, is 3/8” at 25’ enough to use for a HERM coil?

Any ideas or suggestions??

this will absolutely work.

MLT -> Coil in pot -> MLT

i have done this with a keggle, so i don't have complete coil to pot contact, but i don't think you'll have any scorching issues assuming you keep the wort moving through the coil for the whole mash. this will lead to great mash filtering :)

you will love the addition of a PID and element. you'll want to monitor the output of the coil for temp for the PID.

you don't really NEED to go through the lid. i just notched the corner of my lid and it works great to keep the heat in my HLT

I'm looking at doing the same thing. Just need the pump and a bit more hose. Trying to get the $$$ for it a little at a time.

Back