label printing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunteraw

Reaction score
a friend and i have worked up a label for my IPA. there's going to be a neck label and a main label.

for the neck:

necklabel.png

and for the main:

mainlabel.jpg

the slogan, clearly, will be "suck on a cold one"

my question is if there's any convenient way to have your labels CUT for you? it seems pretty straightforward to go to kinko's and have them print it on label paper for you, but then how do you get it cut out? i know i dont trust my scissor skills enough to think that i'd produce a professional-looking result. having a die made seems tremendously inefficient.

for you label-makers out there, how did you get yours cut once they were printed?

i know i dont trust my scissor skills enough to think that i'd produce a professional-looking result. having a die made seems tremendously inefficient.

for you label-makers out there, how did you get yours cut once they were printed?

My first label was circluar, but like you me ans scissors aren't a good combo, so I changed to square labels and now just use a big paper cutter when I actually label a bottle.

You can purchase a Die Cutter from most craft/scrap-booking stores, and a Die that will be in the shape you're looking for (or order a custom made Die.)

Alternatively, you can look through some paper supply catalogs to see if that have any label paper pre-scored.

tough to cut out but REALLY great looking. I LOVE retro pinup pics!!!!

The logo on the neck wrap is awesome too! Kind of has that "trucker mudflap" look to it. Also has a bit of the Wychwood feel as well. I like it.

thanks, i'll post a picture of it on the bottle once they're printed

Awesome label. I'm new at brewing, but judging by the labels I've seen, I have a lot of work ahead of me.:mug:

awesome!

well a circle or shape is going to be huge ones to cut out and still keep it looking good. option would be to make it square and fill the outer area with a pattern or darker color so it blends with the bottle and artwork and allows the main image to pop off and easy to cut.

Remember when you're printing your labels to give about .25" of bleed. For those of you who don't know, "bleed" is when you take the color on the edge (in this case it would be the black from the stroke) and extend it .25" past the documents boundaries. This ensures a colored edge when you cut.

Cheesefood said:
Remember when you're printing your labels to give about .25" of bleed. For those of you who don't know, "bleed" is when you take the color on the edge (in this case it would be the black from the stroke) and extend it .25" past the documents boundaries. This ensures a colored edge when you cut.

1/4" of bleed?!?!? What are you in the corrugated industry?? :D

Very good labels hunteraw! I've sketched out a design for my first brew label. Once things at home and work slow down I'll get to crackin on it in Photoshop. Anyone have have any tips on where to find general source images for making your own labels, like for the ribbon graphic? Hunteraw, did you make it all yourself or use graphics from here and there off the web?

--Aaron

Back