Special b grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
I am going off a recipe that calls for special b speciality grains. My local friar tuck doesnt carry this. Does anyone know what I could use as replacement or maybe know if it is called a different name? Thanks!!

Special b is pretty unique. I'd ask a fellow homebrewer if they have any, or bite the bullet and order online

There really is no substitute for Special B, but English Extra Dark Crystal or C120 are probably as close to it as you can find.

I was thinking possibly substituting for a chocolate grain, it might make a bit less bitter but I'm wanting to brew tomorrow so i have no time to order on line, the recipe is a mock of a holiday spice

- 6lbs dark lme
-3.3lbs amber lme
-8oz caramel 60l grains
-80z special b grains (that I don't have)
-1oz vanguard bittering hops
-1oz cascade hops
-1tsp nutmeg and ginger

Any advice on substituting chocolate for special b would be great!!

I was thinking possibly substituting for a chocolate grain, it might make a bit less bitter but I'm wanting to brew tomorrow so i have no time to order on line, the recipe is a mock of a holiday spice

- 6lbs dark lme
-3.3lbs amber lme
-8oz caramel 60l grains
-80z special b grains (that I don't have)
-1oz vanguard bittering hops
-1oz cascade hops
-1tsp nutmeg and ginger

Any advice on substituting chocolate for special b would be great!!

Chocolate malt will actually add more bitterness than Special B. Special B is sweet and gives a raisin/plumb flavor, where as Chocolate malt will give chocolate and coffee flavors. You can substitute chocolate if you like, but it will completely change the profile of the beer. As mentioned before, Crystal 120 is probably the closest you will get to Special B.

I'd guess that with the spices, subbing either chocolate or 120 isn't going to make a huge difference. As a disclaimer, this is free advice on the internet and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'd guess that with the spices, subbing either chocolate or 120 isn't going to make a huge difference. As a disclaimer, this is free advice on the internet and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I think subbing chocolate would make a pretty significant difference. One malt is sweet and somewhat fruity, while the other is bitter and chocolaty. To very different tastes. Not to say subbing chocolate would make a bad beer, it could certainly be good. But it would be a very different beer.

Alright Thanks everybody for the advice I think I'm good to go with the crystal 120 I'm looking for more of a fruity taste rather than bitter beer, Hopefully it's done conditioning by the Christmas season I'm a little late on my brew times!!

Latest posts

Back