Clearing my hard cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbrewski

Reaction score
Is yeast necessary to clear my cider. I was thinking about racking into a carboy with a campden tablet to stop fermentation because I wanted a more sweet cider, but I also want it to be clear.

I'm not sure how the campden tablet/yeast would effect the clarity. However, if it is a sweeter cider you are looking for I would suggest adding fresh cider at the end of the fermentation. I normally brew 4 gallons of apple cider and when fermentation is done I add a fresh gallon of cider and bottle/keg it.

Without a filter, time is what is really needed to clear cider, although dropping the temperature can really help speed up the process, as can fining agents like bentonite.

Simply racking and adding campden will not stop fermentation. As pekabrewey mentioned, you're better off fermenting to completion, then backsweetening, and finally bottling or kegging depending on your equipment.

Latest posts

Back