Brewing for Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew for these of these categories and trying to figure out the best time to brew and ferment and bottle so they age nicely for them to be at there at their best for evaluations thoughts ?
August 10 the is the event...

Category 10 - American Ale will brew a Amber Ale
Category 14 – Indian Pale Ale will brew a American IPA
Category 15 - German Wheat and Rye Beer will do a Rye or German Wheat

Looks like you'll have a brew crunch since all three of those need to be pretty fresh.

Everyone's process is different, so I can tell you what I'd do. Amber ale first, probably last week of June. Then I'd do the IPA on July 6th and the Wheat on July 13th. That way your IPA will hit the judges at about 5 weeks old and the Wheat at exactly a month--both of them extremely fresh!

Good luck!

ChuckCollins said:
I am thinking two weeks to carb plus two weeks of conditioning it after that so a month total in the bottle ???

For some reason I was thinking kegs. Push everything back 2 weeks for bottles, I think. If your process is tight, no real need for conditioning IMO, but I know a lot of folks disagree.

Back