storage for dme, what are you doing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkellner29

Reaction score
Just purchased dme, 55 lb bulk of light locally. How is everyone storing their dme, just in the original box/ plastic, fridge, other containers?

for smaller amounts I use plastic tupperware, may not be the solution for such a large amount. I think any plastic container that has a rubber seal in the lid would work stored in a cool area

Trying to decide if leaving it in the original box and bag is ok in the garage, temp can change from 50-90, box says 65 approx... Maybe I need to move inside. Or split into plastic tupperware, then in a plastic tub...

I'm not sure if it's the humidity or the heat, but I've had it turn into a solid brick after a while in the garage (Texas, so pretty hot in the garage in summer). Not clumping - a solid brick, it looked more like rock hard caramel than anything else.

Well bought two buckets with lids that seal at Lowes. I was able to weight out 3 lb ziplock bags, 9 in each bucket and then 1, 1 lb bag, hoping the little air in each bag is ok. What a pain in the @&# trying to get all the air out without the dme escaping...

That's a lot to package and it's VERY hydrophilic so you don't want to handle it in open air too long, especially if the humidity is high.

Agreed, Why would you buy 55lbs of DME?!? How much did you really save? I only buy as much as I need. Of course it is nice to have one or two bags lieing around. So just buy them in individual 3 lbs bags and use as needed. You probibly waste/let go stale in what you saved in buying in bulk.

Agreed, Why would you buy 55lbs of DME?!? How much did you really save?

Well, I just got 50 lbs from labelpeelers.com, with (in-state) tax and shipping, for $120. So $2.40 a pound or so. Versus my LBHS, which sells it for $5 to $5.50 a pound.

(I'm sticking with extract brewing for a while, having neither the equipment nor the time to go AGB right now.)

Given that I tend to use about 7 lbs DME per 5-gallon batch, that's a savings of $21 per batch. If I'm careful about keeping the DME away from moisture and don't lose any to spoilage, that'll be ~$140 in my pocket = 4 more batches of brew. I'll keep ya posted on that ...

Any side effects except being a pain in the arse when extract becomes exposed to air?

i keep all my left overs in mason jars, but don't usually have more then 1lb extra

Back