La Fin du Monde - Triple-style Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoTrubble

Reaction score
NOTEWhen I tried to submit this recipe it said I was missing one field from Tasting Notes. I didn't realize it was reset to All Grain from Partial Mash. Someone else needs to reset that as I can't see how to do it now that it's posted.

This is my second beer brew and I got this bad photocopy recipe from someone who got it out of a book somewhere. My copy is falling apart so I wanted to post what I could read of it still so I don't lose the recipe. I don't really have a lot of experience brewing yet but my wife assures me that this has all the qualities and aromas as an original Belgian Abbey where she lived.

From what I can still read this is more or less a clone of a Belgian Tripel called La Fin du Monde (The End of The World) from Chambly, Quebec.

Original Gravity: 1.086
Final Gravity: 1.015
Content: ~9%

Heat 2.5 gallons (9.5L) water to 164F (73C)

Crush:
4lb (1.8Kg) Belgian Pilsner Malt
1lb (454g) malted wheat
1lb (454g) caravienne
1lb (454g) light (20L) Crystal malt

Add to liquor and steep at 152F(67C) for 90 minutes.
Sparge with 3 gallons (11L) water at 168F (76C)

Add to runnings:
6lb (2.7Kg) unhopped, extra light malt extract
8oz (227g) Belgian Candy sugar (clear candi sugar substitute)

Bring to boil then add:
Perle hops

Boil 30 minutes then add:
Syrian / Kent Goldings hops

Boil 30 minutes more then remove from heat.

Cool then top up to 5.25 gallons (20L) with chilled, preboiled water.

Cool to 68F (20C) then pitch:
Belgian Strong Ale Yeast (recultured or Unibroue, Wyeast 1383 or equivalent)

Ferment at 65F (18C) for two weeks then transfer to secondary and condition cool (50-55F [10-13C]) for 5-6 weeks.

Prime:
1 cup (237ml) extra light dry malt extract (DME)

Bottle and age at 50F (10C) for 8 weeks.

When I made it I only used one WLP vial. I was still a green newb and it came out too sweet. The aging time and temp is key on this one. Even though it was sweet it was very close to the original. It just had far less bite to it than I planned. I will do this again again after I move but I will be switching it to an all grain recipe.

Back