yeast culturing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbid53

Reaction score
:ban: does anyone culture yeast I have been loking into it and have found lots of great info but cannot seem to find a culturing kit where can I find this the only company I found has gone out of buissness:tank:

Culturing kit? All you need is a box of pint-sized Mason jars and your brewpot in which to boil them and your washwater.

Bernie Brewer said:
Culturing kit? All you need is a box of pint-sized Mason jars and your brewpot in which to boil them and your washwater.
And something to sanitize with ;)

It is easy, easy, look up "yeast washing" in the wiki...along with "yeast starter"...done!

Beerrific said:
And something to sanitize with ;)

It is easy, easy, look up "yeast washing" in the wiki...along with "yeast starter"...done!

Well, since you're boiling the mason jars in your wash water, everything is already sanitized:)

Bernie Brewer said:
Well, since you're boiling the mason jars in your wash water, everything is already sanitized:)

Oh yeah, forget what I said.

I use apple juice bottle so I need to sanitize stuff.

I think (and I'm could be wrong) but when he says culturing, maybe he means a system to keep yeast alive... forever? Not washing. Or can you wash yeast over and over and over? Don't large breweries have setups that do this? Maybe not in mass amounts, but in a smaller amount.

Just go to the "Fermentation & Yeast" forum right here and see the sticky on slanting yeast. Never seen a better how-to. The only problem I had was getting the agar, so I went with jello and after a few runny mediums I got the amount right and it works just fine.

Latest posts

Back