Anchorage Brewing Bitter Monk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othellomcbane

Reaction score
This is one of the most unique, interesting beers I've ever had. Something to try if you want a crazy example of style-blending, or an example of a bunch of things that shouldn't work together but somehow do. Everything I've ever read says that bitter beers and sour beers don't go together, yet here's a 100 IBU Belgian IPA with Brett.

Full review on my blog if you want to read that (http://www.bear-flavored.com/2011/11/anchorage-brewing-bitter-monk-review.html), but the basic gist is: everything somehow contributes to a very smooth oaky flavor, rather than bitterness and sourness clashing. It's actually not very sour at all, just dry and, I guess, funky in a more "earthy" way. The hops also kind of have that feel, and the citrusy grapefruit notes also work well with the tartness. Super complex, smooth, and tasty.

Bottles are expensive, but worth a try for sure. Anyone else try this yet? It just hit the market not long ago.

I tried this a few days ago and loved it. I plan on getting a tour of Gabes setup soon, I heard its quite the deal. I also just tried Love Buzz and WOW talk about some complex brews!

Back