Apfelwein Excess Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBrew

Reaction score
Hey y'all. Been a while since I've brewed (so long that most of the gear made its way into storage!). Anyway, I made 2-5 gallon batches of Apfelwein a couple days apart, my first batch (due to lack of equipment), I shook the sugar in the Apple juice containers halfway emptied into the carboy. This one is off to a great start (cloudy, and fermenting away)--however the one I started last night (Tuesday), isn't up to much at all. There also is a decent amount of sugar on the bottom (only in the indent of the ring of the carboy). Maybe I just didn't noticed last time as far as the sugar goes. Should I agitate the carboy (my old setup was just a plastic coat hanger, cut, and put into a cordless drill.) Should I re-pitch the yeast? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you didn't areate your 2nd batch prior to yeast pitch, a good stirring would certainly help to move things along & at this stage won't hurt. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back