pulp build up on sides of jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabrews22

Reaction score
I'm making some gallon batches of mead, one being an orange cinnamon. I put fresh oranges in it and the pulp and everything started to rise all the way up into the airlock. I took the airlock off real fast poured some out and put a fresh sanitized airlock back on. I'm two days into fermentation, bubbling hard. Is taking my airlock off going to cause problems and the pulp is sticking to the sides of the jar. Are those little orange chunks going to grow bacteria

Nope your good. When it slows down try to swirl it a little to get the pulp back in. Citrus fruit really gets them excited eh? I had to scrape grapefruit off the ceiling once. Ok twice. After the blueberry incident I just put a wet cloth over it for the first day or two.

Liquid is right about citrus!! Also, anytime you add a dry ingredient, try to mix it into an ounce or two of water. From cinn to yeast nutrient, you will create nucleation sites for bubbling when you add it in. And no, don't fret the chunky stuff, just swirl it back in like he suggested. Good Luck!

Cool, makes me feel better, I did mix my dry yeast with 50 ml of water before hand. And a nutrient to help it through. It's smelling a lil skunky/rottenish. I think it's not a bad sign, especially only after less than 72 hrs. Fermenting fruit should smell a lil skunk y right?

Cool, makes me feel better, I did mix my dry yeast with 50 ml of water before hand. And a nutrient to help it through. It's smelling a lil skunky/rottenish. I think it's not a bad sign, especially only after less than 72 hrs. Fermenting fruit should smell a lil skunk y right?

Ya know I can't explain the science behind it but I've had some wines that smelled like heaven the entire time and others that go through a really funky stage. Don't sweat it yet.

I always start my wines with a cloth over them for the first few days.

Back