Graff = High Fusels/Headache.....but Why????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a Graff and am experiencing a rubbing alcohol taste. Conventional knowledge says that rubbing alcohol aftertaste is usually caused by fusel alcohol caused by too high a fermentation temp. I'm pretty diligent in my temperatures during the active part of fermentation so I am not convinced that is it.

I bottled last night and drank what was left from the hydrometer and what was left in the bottling bucket. Probably 8oz worth. Today I have a hangover!!!! Well I did have a glass of good wine with dinner but seriously....did my Graff just give me a hangover! Or could this be a weird coincidence?

Here is how things went down:

Followed the Graff recipe here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

- I rehydrated the US-05 yeast and allowed the slurry to cool a bit before I pitched it.
- Pitching temp of the wort was 64 degrees.
- Aerated by aggressively shaking the carboy for a few minutes.
- I used a wet towel to keep the fermentation temp at around 68 degrees. Not room temp, actual fermentation temp. Maintained this for about 3-4 days.
- Had a very aggressive fermentation, requiring a blow-off tube.
- Let it sit in the carboy for 4 weeks.

After active fermentation the Graff was subject to swings in room temperatures. We heat with wood so the house tends to have a hot-cold cycle. Generally the Graff stayed between 68-72. A few times when I misjudged the weather and got big fire going in the stove the Graff would get up to 76 but only for a few hours. Also when we went away for a few weekends and the house was allowed to cool the Graff got down to 57.

I'd like to think that I didn't overheat the Graff.....what do you think? Are the slow but wide temperature fluctuations causing me grief?

Also, the OG of the graff was 1.064. At three weeks it was 1.009 but needed to clear a bit more. At 4 weeks it was done clearing and settled in at about 1.007.

When I bottled it last night I noticed a slight rubbing alcohol aftertaste. It isn't ruined but its noticable. Today with my hangover-type headache I'm wondering how the fusels got in there.

What do you think? Is there a major flaw in my methodology or do I have an infection?

Thanks!

Thats a weird one. I guess the higher range of temp could have caused some fusel alcohol, but I would think you would mostly produce off flavors than fusel alcohol. Is there any banana flavor?

I think US-05 is pretty much a standard beer yeast strain with temps ratings from upper 50s to mid-70s. I've used it in beers and never had any issues except that it attenuates like a beast (for me anyway) and makes them a little drier than I typically like.

No banana flavors whatsoever. No fruity anything. The rubbing alcohol taste is not overpowering and is very difficult to smell if at all.

Graff is considered easy drinking when young.....maybe I just have a stubborn batch that needs to mellow out some?

Maybe the headache actually is just a coincidence....???

I've brewed beers in the summer with much less attention to temperatures and the US-05 has handled low 70's for fermentation just fine.

Yah the headache could be coincidental. Those temps don't sound like it would be a problem to me. Only one way to really find out though ;)

As for young graff...my experience has been that it depends on the hops you use. To me...the higher the AA% on a hop...the longer it takes graff to mellow. I made a cascade graff once that tasted like grapefruit juice for 3-4 months!

I do not think that temp is high enough to give you large amounts of fusel alcohols. My first graff was fermented at an ambient temp of 70, so the actual temp should have been higher than yours, and I did not have any problems with fusel alcohols.

Back