Hobbies other than brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenVanned

Reaction score
What are the hobbies of HBT members other than brewing? I've been working on a fresh water fish tank. Live plants and hopefully self sustainable by the time I am finished.

Wow- I have so many! I'm retired (sort of, I still work as a "fill-in") so I have lots of free time.

I hunt, fish, hike, make soap and other body care products, read, kayak, travel, and take care of my grandson one day per week when I can.

I do some woodworking. I can't mix the two hobbies, however. I like having ten fingers!:cross:

I used to fly RC airplanes, but with 3 kids, I just didn't have the time to commit to something outside the house. Brewing and woodworking I can do at home.

I also do some woodworking, I love to build furniture. I've built my entertainment center, end tables, and two coffee tables so far.

And I have a fresh water aquarium as well. 75 gal African Cichlid tank. The aquarium hobby lost some luster when the brewing kicked in, but still love making furniture.

Beer drinking (of course)

Rocketry (from model size on up through high power stuff)

Geocaching

Fishing and hunting (been a few since I participated in the latter)

Reading

Photography

Fishing, Hunting, my Jeep, smoking meat, reading/school work (still trying to get a degree!), anything history related, running... I'm sure my wife would add a ton more to the list for me.

Depends, what month is this?

Most recent are photography and hunting. The wife and I just bought our first nice camera and took an intro class and I just bought my first shotgun a couple weeks ago. Haven't shot it yet.

This past summer I was big into fitness with lifting and running and did a Warrior dash with plans of two more next year and possibly a ToughMmudder. I've fallen off the wagon with working out recently though. Need to get back to it.

Newest hobby on the horizon, our daughter:) That one I should be able to stick with for a while.

Also camping and smoking meat. Disc Golf hasn't been played lately. Yep, that's all for now :)

Competition pistol shooting, wild game processing, BBQing, smoking meats, casting bullets and commercial catfishing to name a few.

BBQing, play baseball still but might be last season wife has trouble sitting through 3 hour games with the little ones. Basketball also

Music, been playing the guitar for 35 yrs. Really enjoy making music with friends.

I restore antique cars and build hot rods.

I currently have:

68 Camaro SS convert
65 Mustang Convert
36 Ford
67 Mustang coupe
55 Chev 2 door hardtop
55 Chev Convert
57 Chev 2 door hardtop
57 Chev Convert
74 Chev truck (pro street)

fermenting all kinds of foods, smoking meat, making bread, woodworking, cooking in general, home improvement...

Fishing, Camping, Leatherwork (just learning), shooting (target, clays) and just cause I needed something girly... I knit.

Rebecca

BBQing, play baseball still but might be last season wife has trouble sitting through 3 hour games with the little ones. Basketball also

I totally forgot my sports! I say the same thing as you: every year is my last year. Saturday I'm starting a football season. I guess this year was my last year after all, my last year playing only softball. :rockin:

I build experimental airplanes, at the current time I'm building a 2 seat aluminum arobatic low wing plane been working on it for 5 years hopefully in another year or two she will be flying. I also build tv antennas, and rebuild a shoot hand guns. I'd do more but hobbies are expensive.

Bowling, competitive target shooting (Black Powder, Long Range Rifle, and Trap), pretending I know how to do home improvements, organized beer and wine tastings.

Wow. I wish I could get into things as much as you guys. Currently im only brewing and working on my fish tank. But yes, hobbies are expensive and funds are limited... I also work 3rd shift so much of anything that requires day light is out of the question. As much as I love grilling I would like to get into bbq. I once had a pretty successful tech/political blog but certain agencies did not like my content too much. (Nothing Illegal). Im mainly looking for more things I can do on my off nights.

Growing various gourmet mushrooms, Karate, Didgeridoo playing and cooking/baking awesome food.

I play guitar and a bunch of other instruments and have been in a few bands, college towns are hard to practice in though, no space for drummers.

We go camping as much as we can.

I like to cook, like, a lot.

I play xbox when I can. Never really cared for FPS's until a few years ago, and now that's about all I play.

I like to mess around with design programs like GIMP and am trying my hand at google sketchup.

Comic Books. Comic Books. COMIC BOOKS

I'm also a big reader of regular books. Love Palahniuk, Tom Wolfe, Kerouac, other stuff like that.

I'd love to get into woodworking or something else where I create with my hands but I don't have the space, capital, or time.

and I'm trying to get back in the gym. Used to be a big gym rat before I got my EMT cert back in 2008. Then I quit working out for nearly three years and it BLOWS.

just read a bit through the thread and realized I totally forgot to put Racquetball up here. Best sport ever.

knitting
genealogy research
gardening (during spring & summer)
cooking
World of Warcraft (I'm a guild officer, but I suppose this really doesn't count as a hobby) :)

I used to be big into freshwater aquariums, and when I move next year I'll get back into it

Other than brewing:

Gym/Running/Working out
I play in a Kickball League once a week.
I play lots of video games on pc, ps3, and xbox.
I recently started reading for the first time in my life (Game of Thrones Series)

NFL Football watching, and Fantasy Football Nerding.
I like to camp and fish, but don't do it enough.
Snowboarding (try to as much as I can living in Arizona)
Mountain Biking

That is just to name a few. I have more hobbies than I should I think. I am tasked with fixing anything that breaks in the house. I have to fix the garbage disposal (broke last week), yard work, and fix my cabinet door that just magically fell off one day in my garage. I don't mind doing home improvement/handyman stuff, but there are things I would rather be doing.

Oh yeah, and I am really big into Movie going/watching. (great shared interest with SWMBO)

There are a lot of people who shoot and smoke meat. That is funny! I have 3 rifles but rarely shoot (ammo is expensive!!)

Mountain biking
Road biking
Cyclocross racing
Hiking
Camping
Backpacking
Kayaking
Photography (Not as seriously as I used to)
Fishing (Not a serious as I used to)

Mountain biking is far and away my favorite. Followed by Cycocross and road riding.

I'll give ya one guess...
am_image031.jpg

tt600_5.jpg

making all kinds of homemade foods like kraut, sausage, home roasted coffee, some cheese
photography, beer travel, rock collecting, gardening-veggies and cacti, hiking.
I used to love camping but now I'm too old to drag a 10 mile extension cord for my CPAP machine and apparently my snoring scared the wildlife out of 2 counties last time I went.

I enjoy cycling, hiking, gardening, shooting (every knce in a while, bullets and range fees get $pendy). I try to make it up into the high Sierras a couple of times a year. Wood working is nice too, made most of my own storage and brewing stands.

punkrockdave said:
I enjoy cycling, hiking, gardening, shooting (every knce in a while, bullets and range fees get $pendy). I try to make it up into the high Sierras a couple of times a year. Wood working is nice too, made most of my own storage and brewing stands.

Forgot to mention the RedSox eat up alot of my time. Thats where most of my heavy drinking occurs. Lol

Running, Kenpo/Wing Chun, Gardening (Gotta have fresh ingriendients!) and Art (woodwork, stonework,painting, sculpting, welding)

Most of these are compatibile with enjoying the fruits of our labor.

leaf

Great thread...I like that some are complementary...smoked meat and beer, food and beer, some are seemingly unrelated, like gardening and beer, art and beer, and some are at odds with each other...guns and beer, motorcycles and beer...and mine, long distance running and beer. Although you can make the argument that beer makes for excellent carb loading the night before a race. Worked like a charm on my half marathon last October.

Latest posts

Back