Corny Keg Swap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody know if a Corny keg lid will seal on a Firestone Keg?

They seem to both have the same size opening, but I'm not sure the lid is engaging as tightly as it should.

Thanks.

As long as they're not racetrack lids they will fit. You'll need to apply some CO2 pressure to get it to completely seal most likely. You may also want to apply some keg lube to the o-ring.

Buford said:
As long as they're not racetrack lids they will fit. You'll need to apply some CO2 pressure to get it to completely seal most likely. You may also want to apply some keg lube to the o-ring.
Definitley second the keg-lube suggestion.

I have three out of my fourteen cornies that will not hold a seal unless I lube them up real good. I also have to lube a couple of my poppets because they won’t seat completely without it. Sucks though, cuz I’m pretty sure that keg-lube isn’t good for head retention.

Hmmmm…never thought I’d get to use the words lube and head in the same sentence without a three day paid subscription.

You might also try turning the lid around 180 degrees. I've had some good results doing that when the lid didn't seem to seal.

The oval lids are all interchangeable. If the thing doesn't seal well there are a number of things you can do besides keg lube. First take a look at the keg feet. If the rubber caps are worn, you may want to replace them. If you don't want to replace them you can stick a coin under the feet. Another solution is to bend the legs a little so they seal a little tighter.

Sometimes the edge of the lid is bent a little. Put the lid on a flat surface and you should be able to see any dings. If bent, a light tap with a hammer will usually fix it.

You should also check the lid gasket. Old gaskets may crack, harden, or become permanently compressed. If so, just replace the gasket. If that still doesn't work, you can replace it with one that is a little thicker. I get these from http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG_LID_SEALING_O_RING_P58.cfm
These are slightly larger and softer than standard O-rings and do a great job of sealing stubborn lids. I have them on 3 or 4 of my kegs.

Hope these tips help someone.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Back