Why do I have trouble capping Heineken 22 oz bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmystewart

Reaction score
I've tried searching in this forum, but I can't seem to find any other reference to this problem.

When I try to cap these bottles with a regular ol' red wing capper, the cap doesn't seem to seat all the way. Is the opening on these bottles a different size than standard 12 oz bottles? Do crown caps come in different sizes? Would I need to spring for a bench capper in order to seal these bottles properly?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Very clever, sir. I'd almost be willing to accept that explanation, but I discovered my issue during a dry run before actually trying to bottle my own brew...

I've stumbled across a few lousy stories here about people having problems in the middle of bottling their batch, after putting the priming sugar in. I'm trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so to speak before I start the siphon.

But, c'mon, give a newbie a break! Surely there are worse things I could be drinking to save the bottles, right?

Very clever, sir. I'd almost be willing to accept that explanation, but I discovered my issue during a dry run before actually trying to bottle my own brew...

I've stumbled across a few lousy stories here about people having problems in the middle of bottling their batch, after putting the priming sugar in. I'm trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so to speak before I start the siphon.

But, c'mon, give a newbie a break! Surely there are worse things I could be drinking to save the bottles, right?

Some bottles use different crown sizes. I believe 22mm and 26mm are common but I'm pulling that from my caffeine spazzed brain. Might just accept they won't work with that capper unless you want to buy the other sized bell for the capper.

It has to do with the part under the lip of the bottle where the capper grabs to get leverage. If the bottle does not have enough space between the lip and that point, the capper cannot properly seal the cap.

I have had this problem with a certain version of the foriegn export bottles that I use. There is no way to fix it, the bottles are un-useable.

It has to do with the part under the lip of the bottle where the capper grabs to get leverage. If the bottle does not have enough space between the lip and that point, the capper cannot properly seal the cap.

I have had this problem with a certain version of the foriegn export bottles that I use. There is no way to fix it, the bottles are un-useable.

Very true, we have had this problem too with a few english ale bottles. They have all kinds of odd shapes, and it's often the question if the capper would do its job or not.

I guess if a Dutchman confirms that there's nothing worse than Heineken I should listen, eh?

So, I gather that I might be able to find different sized caps and a new bell for my capper, and even then it's likely to not work.

I guess I'll start looking for a different brand. I think Corona comes in 22 or 24 oz bottles? Would that do more than Heineken to increase my "street cred" among home brewers?

I guess if a Dutchman confirms that there's nothing worse than Heineken I should listen, eh?

So, I gather that I might be able to find different sized caps and a new bell for my capper, and even then it's likely to not work.

I guess I'll start looking for a different brand. I think Corona comes in 22 or 24 oz bottles? Would that do more than Heineken to increase my "street cred" among home brewers?

Unless you want skunky beer (like Heineken and Corona) then I would suggest finding some brown Bottles to put your beer in. The light will skunk the hops though green and clear glass.

Unless you want skunky beer (like Heineken and Corona) then I would suggest finding some brown Bottles to put your beer in. The light will skunk the hops though green and clear glass.

+1

Go buy ten dark growlers to get the job done fast or four cases of brown bottled beer and start drinking.
:mug:

Back