Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLuke01

Reaction score
I am very new at brewing and just began a primary fermentation on a maple chipotle ale. I did not boil with any maple and am planning on adding about 10 oz of grade B maple to the secondary and then prime with 5 oz.

I have a 3 gal batch, do you think this would be a good ratio of maple and will not over carbonate?

Thanks for the help!

I did a nut brown ale several months ago and didn't have enough quite priming sugar so I threw in 1 cup of grade b maple syrup. It came out a little fizzy but if it's cold enough it pours nicely and a light maple flavor came through as well. There is a table in How to Brew that helps calculate how much syrup would give the equivalent carbonation corn sugar.

Eliminate the guesswork. Real information is available! According to this site, a 322g serving of maple syrup contains 192g of sugar. In ounces (by weight) that's an 11.35 oz serving with 6.77 0z of sugar. That means that every ounce of syrup has 0.596 oz of sugar in it. I recall reading somewhere that the sugar in maple syrup is almost entirely sucrose. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but someone can check me on that.

For a 3 gallon batch of beer, 2 oz of sucrose will get you a carbonation level of 2.4 volumes, usually considered the "normal" or "average" level of carbonation. Divide 2 oz by 0.596 and you get 3.35 oz of syrup.

Back