Another Newb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I've lurked the Kombucha forum long enough! Y'all gave me such good information that today I actually got my stuff together and now have a scoby starter in the making. It was pretty easy too, all the info here made me quite confident that I could get it to work. The only possible downside is that the only kombucha I had available to me was GT's citrus. Still I decanted two containers worth and pitched the thick slurries in the bottom into my starter tea and hopefully I'll have a nice scoby in a few weeks! Again, thanks for everything HBT!

Good luck! If that doesn't work, it's usually pretty easy to find someone on Craigslist with a scoby for $5 or less. That's how I got started.

So I checked it today and there was a nice starter growing on top! It's not that thick but the tea is VERY sour so I imagine it's ready for some more sugar. I'm gonna make some new tea tomorrow and pitch the scoby!

Sounds like you're right on track! In my experience, the first one's always thin and weak, just keep it going and you should be good to go.

As I type this, I'm sitting sipping on the first glass of my homemade kombucha! Thank you all for your help! Now, to make some more!

As I type this, I'm sitting sipping on the first glass of my homemade kombucha! Thank you all for your help! Now, to make some more!

Congrats! I started my first SCOBY from the gingerade flavor, and it worked like a charm. I've read that it's better not to start with the flavored ones, but I'm not sure why.

I also found the first SCOBY to be fairly thin, but now three batches in, the older ones are getting a bit thicker with every batch, and the new baby Scobys are looking better and better from the get go.

It seems like once you get them established, they thrive. :mug:

Back