Enhancing brews through dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haighter

Reaction score
So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in enhancing the flavor of a brew after you've done the boil and it's been fermenting for a couple days.

I've had one going for about 5 days now and took a draw off of it last night. Sample tasted fine (no odd flavors, drank the whole lot of it - 4oz) but I felt like there was room to grow, as in it tasted just a tad watery. Now, of course the flavors will get enhanced and develop as fermentation and conditioning happen.

FWIW, I'm probably not touching this recipe as I'd like to see how it tastes without modifying it. Really just curious as to the different techniques people use on the fly. I'd assume dry hopping in some fashion...?

by and large, once it's fermenting, you can't do much, especially if it isn't a fruit beer. you can dry hop of course, but i wouldn't let 'watery' sway you at this point. let's see the recipe so we can examine a little closer.

I've found that dry hopping a beer that doesn't already have a good base of flavor and aroma hops doesn't do much.

MD is good for increasing body and steeping a small amount of aromatic malt can really help in some cases.

Back