Root Beer question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrvilleOrdinary

Reaction score
This may be sacrilegious, but my motivation is pure:

I want to brew root beer with my father, who is extremely conservative and abstains from all alcoholic beverages. It's sort of a way to bridge the gap.

It's my understanding that, although it's not an alcoholic beverage, you do get a negligible amount of alcohol when making root beer. My father is SO adamantly opposed, even the tiniest percentage would be reason enough for him to refuse.

Does anybody here have experience with making root beer? Is there a way of making it absolutely alcohol free?

Don't worry -- I won't make a habit out of it. :mug:

This may be sacrilegious, but my motivation is pure:

I want to brew root beer with my father, who is extremely conservative and abstains from all alcoholic beverages. It's sort of a way to bridge the gap.

It's my understanding that, although it's not an alcoholic beverage, you do get a negligible amount of alcohol when making root beer. My father is SO adamantly opposed, even the tiniest percentage would be reason enough for him to refuse.

Does anybody here have experience with making root beer? Is there a way of making it absolutely alcohol free?

Don't worry -- I won't make a habit out of it. :mug:

Sure, you can make it alcohol free. The way to do it is force carb. I bought a carbonator cap, and it fits on a soda bottle. I mix up the root beer (or ginger ale) and put it on my kegging system with about 40 psi. I shake it, chill it, and do it again. In a day, perfectly carbed home made soda!

Now, to bottle condition, there would have to be a little bit of alcohol. It's a very small amount- like .05%, so that you could even give it to children, but it does have some. I followed this link the first time I made root beer (before I got my kegging gear): Homemade Root Beer Recipe
This one is good, too: Root Beer

Back