Ring on top of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacks13

Reaction score
I started another thread on the aroma of my beer in the secondary, and have now noticed a ring of mold-looking spots on the top of the beer. There might be 20 little spots in total and they're in a perfect circle covering 80% of the circumference of the top layer of the beer inside the secondary. What is this likely to be and what should I do?

Thanks!

A lot of times little bubbles from the yeast accumulate on top in secondary and they can look like mold. I'll bet that's what you have.

I've never brewed using honey, I wonder if that's contributing to the sweet smell?

Give the carboy a gentle swirl and see if the stuff on top acts like bubbles. Unless they start looking like little icebergs or some other crazy thing I would just leave it alone.

Even if you do have some actual mold it doesn't mean the batch is ruined, it can be like mold on cheese, just cut off the moldy part and eat the rest.

Barley-Davidson said:
A lot of times little bubbles from the yeast accumulate on top in secondary and they can look like mold. I'll bet that's what you have.

I've never brewed using honey, I wonder if that's contributing to the sweet smell?

Give the carboy a gentle swirl and see if the stuff on top acts like bubbles. Unless they start looking like little icebergs or some other crazy thing I would just leave it alone.

Even if you do have some actual mold it doesn't mean the batch is ruined, it can be like mold on cheese, just cut off the moldy part and eat the rest.

You, my friend, are the bearer of good news. Thanks!

Back