Left overs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecad

Reaction score
I have various small amounts of grains, DME and a few hops sitting around in my house. All leftovers from various recipies I have made. Should I combine them all into some kind of twisted frankenbeer or save them for future use?

I'll try to post a list of what I have over the weekend when time allows, but I have 12 mason jars with various levels of grains and DME and probably 3 types of hops in the fridge. yeast will have to be bought. if the frankenbeer is to be made any suggestions on yeast to use?

your pal;
THE CAD

I think it depends on what you've got. If you have some mix of grains that will play nice together, frank it up. If you've got a bunch of weird ass odds and ends, maybe save them out. For yeast, I would say see if you end up close to a certain style. If you have the makings for a stout/porter, for example, use the proper yeast. If you want a good general yeast for a "whatever I end up with" style, just use a basic all-purpose dry yeast like 04, 05, or Nottingham.

Ok here's what i got:
1.75 lbs Torrified Barley
0.50 lbs Brown Malt
0.50 lbs Crystal 40L
0.75 lbs Chocolate Malt
1.25 lbs Munich Malt
0.50 lbs Pilsner 2 row
0.50 lbs Viennea Malt
0.25 lbs Torrified Wheat
0.50 lbs Light DME
0.50 lbs Extra Light DME
0.50 oz Chinook hop pellets
0.50 oz Goldings hop pellets
0.50 oz Magnum hop pellets
Obviously I'll need some yeast, any suggestions on type?
Yes i know it's not the weekend, but i have a rotating schedule with odd days off so it's still my weekend:p.

adding 2 lbs of DME to try and strech it into a 5 gal batch, (i'll plug it all into beersmith to see how much i need)
gonna call it Cad's Left Over S*** Brown Ale

adding 2 lbs of DME to try and strech it into a 5 gal batch, (i'll plug it all into beersmith to see how much i need)
gonna call it Cad's Left Over S*** Brown Ale

Bitter with magnum, flavor/aroma with goldings. Use an english yeast (04, wl002) or US05/Nottingham.

make that porter not ale, fits better into the brown porter style

i have a few things sitting here either left over or just new and waiting to be used..

GRAIN:
1kg Munich Dark
1kg Munich Light
1kg Wheat

Extract:
1kg Wheat dme
1kg Light Dry dme

Hops:
Saaz
EK Goldings
Green Bullet
Amarillo
Cascade (flowers)
Mixed bag of Citra & Centennial

anyone got any idea's?

Posts like this reinforce our need for an addon to BS or some sort of web app where we can enter our leftovers and it will spit out a list of recipes that we can brew with what is on hand or with minor additions.

DrunkleJon said:
Posts like this reinforce our need for an addon to BS or some sort of web app where we can enter our leftovers and it will spit out a list of recipes that we can brew with what is on hand or with minor additions.

That would be a great idea! Tried googling but it's to complex for google to understand, plus the millions of recipes online.. Oh well if worst comes to worst I will just try something random!

I've heard this kind of thing called the "Stewbrew" or the "Kitchen Sink Ale." Go for it!

Back