Degassing in a Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same thing you'd use in a glass carboy.

mix-stir-1_2109_detail.jpg

You can also get them at a hardware store. They are paint stirrers.

I'm a little hesitant to use those stirrings in a Better bottler- if you hit the side you could scratch it.

One thing I've done with the BBs is just use good old fashioned muscles- shake it up to dislodge the gas and then stir by hand.

If you decide to manually "shake" a better bottle, it is recommended by the manufacturers that you use a tennis ball on the bottom of it. This helps prevent cracking of it due to flexing of the liquid in the bottle.

bb_mixing_setup.jpg

From the website;

Important Note: Never rock or swirl Better-Bottle carboys without using a tennis ball. Doing so will cause the edges of the bottom of the carboy to flex under great stress repeatedly and eventually cause cracks, like bending a paper clip back and forth.

There's been a few threads about it. They are a great product, but if they get oscillating there can be problems.

So be careful.

That's what I was wondering as well. I am trying to figure out which way is better to go with wine. Glass Carboys or Better Bottles for the secondary and was worried a bit about scratching the sides of the better bottle when degassing. Need some input on this one!

CampFireWine, 'splain me lucy what you're doing with that setup?

I use it to degas the carboys. I make lots of co2 and need to extract the co2 before replacing it with so2 on racking. I just push a button and watch. It's the easiest way. I use to run the batteries out of my drill and not get all the gas out. I also wore my hands out on a manual brake vacuum and nothing, but this flavor savor is just so great, it's way over the top.

I found a youtube video of someone else demonstrating the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
remember, when you degass using a drill mounted stirrer, you're only doing short bursts.

I am finding the best technique is to get it moving in one direction first, so you get a nice swirl in the carboy, then put it in reverse on hi-speed and give it a 2 second burst. Volcano ensues.
Repeat.
There's no reason the stirrer should ever need to come close to the sides, or touch the very bottom. I insert it, find the bottom, pull back a few inches, and let 'er rip!

These are great for mixing juice into the water for concentrated kits, as well as mixing extract homebrew with top-off water for a solid OG reading.

remember, when you degass using a drill mounted stirrer, you're only doing short bursts.

I am finding the best technique is to get it moving in one direction first, so you get a nice swirl in the carboy, then put it in reverse on hi-speed and give it a 2 second burst. Volcano ensues.
Repeat.
There's no reason the stirrer should ever need to come close to the sides, or touch the very bottom. I insert it, find the bottom, pull back a few inches, and let 'er rip!

These are great for mixing juice into the water for concentrated kits, as well as mixing extract homebrew with top-off water for a solid OG reading.

I guess I'm just a terrible "driver"! I do short bursts, but holding it in the middle is hard for me.

Thankfully, I only have to degas maybe one or two wines a year so it's not much of an issue for me. I find that time is the best degasser there is, with no risk of aeration and no problems wit gassy wine.

Back