The E-Bay gear motor debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzkramer

Reaction score
So, back in August I put up a post for some Dorner gear motors listed on E-Bay by First Choice Industrial Services. All I wanted is a motorized mill, but I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

First, they sent me the wrong item. Once I wired it up and plugged it in I realized it was the correct motor with a 40:1 gearbox instead of the 10:1 gear box. Wayyy to slow. I e-mailed them back and after quite a while of waiting (September) they finally responded and told me to return the item on their UPS account. I still had to pay an 11.00 charge to UPS for pickup.

After the return and almost a month of waiting (now it's October) and e-mails I finally got a hold of them on the phone. They had misplaced my order so they found the correct motor already packaged on a pallet and I had the new one within a few days.

Once the new motor arrived with the correct gear box I wired it up and turned it on, only to find that the damn drive shaft was bent(November, this is really dragging on). Oh man I was angry.

They gave me a courtesy e-mail to check on my order and I let them know the new one was damaged. They are sending a a UPS rep to my house to look at the packaging(sometime next week). They're giving me a full refund AND letting me keep the damaged motor(which works fine except for the drive shaft).

Overall they were very polite on the phone and had no issues giving me my money back. However, I would have liked to have my motor installed like 3 months ago.

Any ideas on what to do with this motor? Can I replace the drive shaft? Are all gear boxes universal to fit standard 1750rpm motors? Any leads on where to get a nice replacement motor?

Thanks for the links. The motor has a round face at the drive shaft and looks like it will take the standard 4-bolt pattern.

I'm getting my money back, so any suggestions for gearboxes?

Post the part number from the motor or gearbox and I should be able to tell you the frame size.

Dorner gear box# 32M101HL. Mounted on the 62MS411FN motor. I couldn't find the part on their website though.

Thanks.

I have the motor too. It's a Dorner 1/4HP, 1725 rpm, single phase AC.

I'm just not sure what to buy to replace the Dorner 10:1 gear box.

Seeing as how they are relabeled any Boston, Grove Box, or Baldor brand should work?

I'm about to just give up and get the Harbor Freight mixer drill and save some time and $$$.

Back