Tried white labs liquid yeast, no action yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
I bought a Midwest Honey Porter Kit and put it together last night. Everything went well, I took the yeast out of the fridge at lunch time just to make sure it was room temp. I cooled wort to 70-72 and shook the vial up very well to make sure all the yeasties were off the glass, then popped off the air lock and poured them in. By the way I like that, it is alot easier then dry yeast in a carboy. Anyhoo that was at 8:30 pm last night, when I awoke this morning there was no action, no little cloud starting to form, now I know this is only my 4th beer but the last 3 took right off within 12hrs or so. Now I know I should RDWHAHB but is this standard with liquid yeast and what is the norm. I know every beer is different, so I am not climbing the walls yet!

Thanks for the input.:tank:

You underpitched, and as such, are now experiencing a lag time while the yeast colony grows and adapts to the wort conditions. The White Labs vials don't have a proper amount of yeast cells for direct pitching, so making a starter when using liquid yeast is a best practice.

AHH! I should have done a search or something on the forum, The funny thing is that the vial did not say to make a starter. Can I jump start this with a little dry yeast I always keep 3 or 4 packs in the fridge. Or should I let it do its thing I looked at the temp and the carboy is maintaining 70 deg.

AHH! I should have done a search or something on the forum, The funny thing is that the vial did not say to make a starter. Can I jump start this with a little dry yeast I always keep 3 or 4 packs in the fridge. Or should I let it do its thing I looked at the temp and the carboy is maintaining 70 deg.

At this point, let it do its thing. I imagine it will take off today. If you aren't seeing visible signs of fermentation by the end of the day, I'd consider repitching a sachet of dry yeast.

Thanks for your help, I will also maybe try to get the carboy temp maybe up a little to get an earlier start.

I used it a few weeks ago.. and I directly pitched it.

It didn't start doing anything until day 4.. but it looks great now.

Thanks for your help, I will also maybe try to get the carboy temp maybe up a little to get an earlier start.

I wouldn't- while yeast do like warmer temperatures, you'd be more likely then to have it start fermenting too warm, and then having trouble bringing the temperature down.

I didn't see if you posted which yeast you used, but 70 degrees is probably near the upper limit for most of the popular strains. Remember that fermentation itself is exothermic, and once fermentation kicks off, the temperature of the wort can rise quickly and as much as 5-8 degrees quite easily.

There is a sticky here on the forum called something like "Fermentation can take 24-72 hours to start". It has lots of good information on this issue. The short answer is that you were very lucky before if fermentation started in less than 24 hours- that isn't typical with liquid yeast.

Mrmalty.com has a pitching calculator that is interesting to look at and see what the recommended pitching rates are for the SG of the wort and the age of the yeast vial.

I would wait the full 72 hours before repitching- liquid yeast is expensive, and if you now add the dry yeast to the wort, the dry yeast will "take over" the fermentation and ferment the wort. Give the yeast you pitched a chance to get going before giving up!

Thanks Yooper I will. I know I paid xtra for the liquid thinking it would be an easier pitch in the carboy and I am guessing by what I read that liquid is the better form to use. Probably and topic that already has been argumented! But I thought I would try it out. :tank:

Thanks again

Yeah, I have never seen a single yeast company that sayes to make a starter... they all claim that you don't. Technically you DONT, but it is wise... good marketing ploy though. Dry yeast packs have a much higher cell count and are well suited for not making a starter. Liquid yeasts on the other hand should have one, and if I am brewing something over 1.060 OG, I make a starter OR use a yeast cake.

Pol

Whats a good easy way to make a starter..

put it in a cup of water at about 70 degrees with a little bit of sugar?

How long do you let it sit for? Do you let it sit out?

Yeah, I have never seen a single yeast company that sayes to make a starter... they all claim that you don't. Technically you DONT, but it is wise... good marketing ploy though. Dry yeast packs have a much higher cell count and are well suited for not making a starter. Liquid yeasts on the other hand should have one, and if I am brewing something over 1.060 OG, I make a starter OR use a yeast cake.

Pol

Thats what I was going to say too :) about yeast companies saying you can pitch their yeast straight up. Making a starter is recommended for higher gravity beers. I did my first liquid yeast batch last Saturday (Wyeast Activator) and will do a White Labs California Ale next week. I am planning to do it without a starter but hold it at room temperature for the first 12 hours to get the yeast going. Few degrees over recommended range for the yeasties will not kill them and should help fermentation start.

Well my patience held up I went home last night to find some action starting, within 24hrs of pitching without a starter. So I was :) Thanks for the input and assurance.

I've never been a fan of White Labs, had to many problems over time. Wyeast is my choice and i've never had any problems. I'm sure White Labs is fine for others, just not my preference.

Back