Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGapBrew

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used vanilla extract or other extracts in their wine? Does it really add flavor? How much would you use per gallon?

RedGapBrew said:
Has anyone ever used vanilla extract or other extracts in their wine? Does it really add flavor? How much would you use per gallon?

I used one ounce of blackberry flavoring in a five gallon batch I did. The flavor of this ounce was VERY potent. If you do add any, use a syringe to add a mL at a time.

Not all extracts are the same, so you really need to do a bench trial before you add to wine.

For vanilla, I find that 5-7 drops of quality vanilla extract (I make my own) per 750ml bottle is quite nice...but then again you always have to trial it because what works in one scenario may not work in the next.

saramc said:
Not all extracts are the same, so you really need to do a bench trial before you add to wine.

For vanilla, I find that 5-7 drops of quality vanilla extract (I make my own) per 750ml bottle is quite nice...but then again you always have to trial it because what works in one scenario may not work in the next.

I learned the hard way..... Test with a sample first! I added my extract to a gallon, added too much, tried blending back the rest of the batch to save the gallon, ended up screwing up the entire 5 gallon batch! Yikes!

Back