Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpnc9702

Reaction score
I have typically had 1 cup of dextrose priming sugar with the recipes of beer that I have made (for 5 gal batches) - I had read where 3/4 cup may be more recommended, I have yet to cut it down and some people may prefer to have less carbonation. I was considering to bottle this next batch with the 3/4 to see how it will turn out, it will be my best frame of reference moving fwd with anything else - what do you folks typically use for 5 gal priming? If I cut this back will it effect the head of the beer?

One cup does seem like a bit much. The "standard" 5 oz (by weight) of dextrose carbs to about 2.4 volumes of CO2, which is sort of an average okay level for most beers. Different styles are traditionally carbonated to different levels. Wheat beers are carbed to 3-3.5 volumes and many British styles are carbed to 1-2 volumes. Books on recipe design such as Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels get into this more. There are a calculators online and as part of various brewing software programs and apps to figure out how much of what type of sugar to add to get to what carbonation level.

+1 to the advice to research this a bit. You're on the right track to be asking questions. Some variables - style: some are better with more or less carbonation; temp of fermented wort (if you cold crashed it, there is more carbon dioxide already in there).

thanks everyone - will the amount of carbonation effect the head (per priming sugar amounts) on the beer any different (taking into account I have read through beer types with recipes where some beers may have better retention than others so this is a generalization.

I go by weight now. Highly recommend buying a cheap digital scale. Northern brewer has a good carb to style calculator. I used to add 3/4 cup corn sugar to every batch but found that my darker ales had this bite. Turns out that too much co2 was the culprit according to a local brewmaster that I let sample the beer. Never had a problem since going by weight.

Here's the priming calculator I use to weigh out priming sugars to style; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
I got a digital scale at walmart for $20 that's great for weighing grains,sugars,hops,etc.
Stephanie-You can use an ale yeast with that Munich lager can. You'll just get a different beer than if a lager yeast was used. Something like US-05 would ferment clean with no fruity esters. You could add honey towards the end of the boil. But it mostly ferments out,leaving only a little flavor.

Latest posts

Back