Cloudy Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flander

Reaction score
Hi.

Ive got a beer that I've been working on for the last month. Two weeks in I transfered it to a secondary and added some gelatin. . . It cleared out VERY nicely. There were a few small floaties after two additional weeks in the secondary. I figured I would put it into the fridge to see if that would help to settle them down.

Two days later, and my beer is completely cloudy again :(

I could see through the carboy. now I cant even see a shadow through it.

What should I do?

That, my friend, is chill haze. It happens when the beers get cold and the proteins coagulate and form the haze. Give it a fortnight (love that word!) or so at 40*F and it'll clear right up.

To avoid chill haze:
- Get a strong hot break (from a fast rolling boil)
- Get a good cold break (from chilling your wort very quickly)
- Add irish moss or whilfloc to your boil

All of these techniques help is forcing the proteins that cause chill haze to drop out of solution early on.

Good idea using the gelatin but that mostly just makes the yeast drop out. You need some finings like I mentioned above. But for simplicity's sake, just get that sucker cold for a couple weeks.

Good luck!

EDIT: Are you bottling? If so, you may need to add more yeast due to your gelatin addition

If you add gelatin when the beer is cold, it will help with the chill haze as well. But if the beer isn't cold, the proteins won't be coagulated, and they won't drop out.

+1 to all of this. But, if you are patient, you can simply not worry about gelatin at all and simply let the beer chill in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. I have had even wheat beers come out crystal clear after lengthy fridge stays.

Back