Storing---Keg or Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltsfan2

Reaction score
I just built a 2 keg kegerator and was wondering what the best method is for storing beer before putting in the kegs. Would it be better to leave in the carboy, and how long can it stay in there. Or would it be better to have extra kegs and pressurize and then store, and how long can they store? I just got into this and now I'm going crazy making new beers. I have 2 ready to keg, 2 fermenting, and 2 ready to make.

Either would work fine. Kegs are nice for storage since there is no light exposure, and no oxidation taking place if you properly purge the headspace with CO2 and set the seals.

Carboys can store beer very well also (especially the glass ones), as long as you minimize exposure by filling towards the tapered neck. You do need to make sure the airlocks do not dry out, but you only need to check on them once per month. Put them in a dark place, or wrap a towel around them to minimize exposure to light.

I would say both can store beer for up to a year with no problems if you follow the tips above. I have an RIS that I plan to age in a carboy for 5-6 months minimum.

Thanks. I want to go with the kegs because of light exposure and the fact that they take up less space. So if I hit them with 30 psi they should be fine? Not that they will be around for long.

I store my brews in kegs. I prime the beer and let it naturaly carbonate in the keg. After that it can sit in the basemant even for a few months or longer and wait for it's turn in the kegerator. You need some extra kegs to do it (I have six), but it's an easy and sure way to store your brews.
To prime the beer in a keg I use 1/3 of a cup of table sugar for american ales and 1/4 of a cup for english ales.

Yes, after racking into the keg and priming w/ sugar you want to hit it with some CO2 to seal the lid. I also put some keg seal lube to make sure it won't leak any CO2.

Latest posts

Back