Porter Recipe - Need Input!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
Next brew is going to be a porter..So far all I have brewed is a couple IPAs, Pale Ale, Brown, and an Amber. So I haven't ventured into Porters or Stouts yet despite both of them being my favorite styles right after IPAs.

It's being called Under Bite, after my Boxer puppy, who of course has an under bite, just like all boxers. :D.

Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.0 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 33.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain Bill:
------------
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt
12.0 oz Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L
1 lbs Carafoam
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked

Hops:
------------
1.00 oz Northern Brewer Boil - 75.0 min
1.00 oz Willamette - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Willamette - Boil 5.0 min

I'm mostly concerned about the Grain Bill..I didn't want it to be too roasty, but not as sweet and thick as a stout. Using 1/2 lbs of Flaked Oats, do I need to be concerned about a stuck sparge? Should I add some rice hulls? I've never brewed with oats.

ANY feedback is appreciated!

I like it. You could possibly dial back the roasted barley and chocolate if you are worried about it being too roasty. Maybe 8 oz of each.

insubordinateK said:
I like it. You could possibly dial back the roasted barley and chocolate if you are worried about it being too roasty. Maybe 8 oz of each.

I agree on both being dialed back to 8 oz. also I love porters made with Maris Otter as the base grain if you are up for subbing your base.

^I like that idea. I'm going to go with Maris Otter, drop the Crystal-30, and dial back the roasted barely to 8oz, but keep chocolate at 12oz.

Latest posts

Back