Guinness Stout Recipe Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Does anyone have an award winning stout recipe similar to a Guinness there are willing to share?

This will be my frist attempt at a brew. All meads, melomels, ciders so far.

70% UK pale malt
20% flaked barley
10% roasted barley

1.040 OG
38-40 IBU

Mash 148-150 for an hour

use irish ale yeast

Just FYI without a nitrogen (beer gas) system and a stout faucet you will never get a beer that tastes quite like Guinness (although the revcipe above will make for a very tasty beer).

he did ask for the guinness stout recipe, not the draught version. So it should be a pretty close approximation

There is my first mistake as I sit here drinking a Guinness Draught. Draught is what I am looking for, sorry.

Yeah your gonna need some nitro then. Have you tried guinness stout? I like it a lot as well, higher ABV and a little more bitter.

You don't absolutely have to serve the beer through a beer gassed restrictor faucet to get the type of head on one of those beers. Coastarine showed me a really neat trick with a meat injector to get a similar creamy head on just about any beer you can think of. Pour the beer as usual and let the head actually settle out a bit if there is any. Take the meat injector and suck some beer into it trying to minimize any air bubble voids in the syringe. Now this takes practice to get it right but all you have to do now is stick the syringe at least half way down in the beer and force the beer out of the syringe at a decent speed, this will generate very tiny bubbles which form into a creamy head. I will warn you about this technique sometimes it can backfire if you use too much beer in the syringe or purge the syringe too hard it will foam over violently so try the first couple in the sink and remember all beers will react differently due to their carbonation being different. I brew a dry irish stout all of the time, here is one I brewed last year that was getting the injector treatment in the glass.

photo51.jpg

I thought stout and draught were the same beer, just different carbing. One nitro, one CO2.
no there has been 4 different beers guinness has made through years that i'm aware of draught and extra stout are much different beers really byo has a clone them all bt the 250 anv edition

Back