Stout final number question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAbowhunter86

Reaction score
Ok I brewed a stout 16 days ago checked the numbers today and was planning on leaving it in primary for 14 days and moving to secondary but am thinking of skipping secondary since this is such a dark beer anyways. But either way my og was 1.065 and i was shooting for 1.018 today it reads 1.02 or .021 should i wait or what happened i hit my starting number good but this i am a little off. And i was wanting to harvest the yeast from this batch has anyone ever done this? Thanks in advance for any help.
Oh and was going to add even for a flat beer it tasted pretty good.

I had a pretty similar situation with a stout last weekend. In fact, my numbers were almost identical to yours. What yeast did you use? I went with WLP001 as mine is an American stout. Anyway, I decided 15 days was enough and just went ahead and bottled it (I don't secondary). I could have taken 3 consecutive gravity readings like a lot of people suggest, but that's losing a lot of beer and risking infection. Besides, I believe Jamil says 2 weeks is enough for any ale yeast and I stick with that. Also, there are a lot of unfermentables involved so a couple points off probably isn't a big deal anyway. IMO it will be fine.

Good to see an Iowa homebrewer on the forum. I'm originally from Davenport and also lived in Cedar County.

I tried the wlp023 burton ale yeast. Im thinking i will bottle it come saterday maybe if i can get bottles cleaned up by then. thanks for the input and how long you been away from iowa?

Latest posts

Back