Ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorpoet85

Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking the forum for quite a while. I am on my second batch, which is getting close to bottling. I started small (one gallon batches).

I brewed an Apple Crisp Ale (essentially following the Brooklyn Brew Shop recipe with some minor tweaks from my LHBS owner who is an excellent brewer and some ad lib on my part). My question is whether I need to ferment longer (most likely) or if it is ready to bottle.

Recipe (BIAB, 2.25 total volume in gallons to start):
2# American 2 row
0.1# Cara 45
0.075# Chocolate
0.075# Aromatic

Boiled for 80 minutes because I was not quite down to 1 gallon yet @ 60 minutes.
-Fugle (0.3 oz) and 1 cinammon stick at 0
-1 more cinammon stick at 50 minutes into boil
-Hallertau (0.1 oz) at 79 minutes into boil

Let ferment for one week, then added three diced apples and 250ml (1 cup) of pasteurized cider from local market.

OG: 1.060 @70 degrees
FG (after two weeks of fermentation): 1.030 @ 42 degrees (I cold crashed the night before)

I tasted what I had after I measured the gravity, and it was absolutely delicious! I am wondering if the cider I added is bringnig down my gravity and, thus, I am not going to get down to the 1.010-1.020 area I was expecting.

Thoughts? Ferment longer? Cider cutting down on my FG? Should I add more yeast?

Note: I did not rack to secondary because it is a one-gallon brew and that seems kind of pointless to me at this point. Really excited to bottle this beer after what I just tasted!

Thanks guys.

Mash temp?? Yeast used?? Without knowing that info, we won't be able to see IF you're at your FG. But, I highly suspect you cold crashed far too soon. OR, your gravity reading was seriously skewed by the cold sample temperature. Let it reach 60F and see what the SG is.

Mash temp?? Yeast used?? Without knowing that info, we won't be able to see IF you're at your FG. But, I highly suspect you cold crashed far too soon. OR, your gravity reading was seriously skewed by the cold sample temperature. Let it reach 60F and see what the SG is.

Agreed. 1.030 is pretty high, and I am not sure it's finished fermenting. Let it sit at 65 degrees for three days, and see what the SG is then. If it's still at 1.030, maybe it's done. But cider would LOWER the FG, not raise it, once it's fermented out. I would expect it to be much lower than 1.030 when done.

Sorry, rookie mistakes :)

Mash temp was higher than I wanted, had a hard time controlling it on my stove (Recently purchased a Caribou burner that'll help with that). Mashed at 155-157. Used Nottingham dry yeast.

I honestly expected it to be done fermenting at two weeks with such a small batch, but obviously I was wrong. So, sounds like I'll be letting it sit and then measure it again?

Latest posts

Back