Starter for OG 1.087

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joenads

Reaction score
I need some advice on making a starter. I was planning on making the 115th dream double ipa kit from northern brewer on sunday. The og is supposed to be 1.087. I was going to make a starter for it tonight, but I'm not sure if I need to step it up, which I dont think I have time for now, or just start with a large quantity. I've got one wyeast pack for it. (I also have 2 packs of dry yeast) If I dont have time for that, I have an amber kit with an og of 1.063 as a back up, but what kind of starter am I looking at for that?

With a stir plate and 1 pack of yeast, you'd need about a 2 liter starter. Without a stir plate and shaking it once in a while, you'd need 3 liters. With that much starter wort, you would definately want to ferment it out, cold crash it and decant the spent wort...all which sounds like it would take more time than you have.

I would use the dry yeast ( 11g pkgs? ), rehydrate them and pitch that. I've used dry yeast for DIPA before and they come out fine.

www.mrmalty.com

+1 to above, seems like solid advice. Not enough time for 3L that has fermented out. You're going to want to have enough yeast for a 1.087, so I wouldn't rush it.

I'd either go 2 dry packets for the big gravity brew.

Or get a starter going immediately for the 1.063 brew. Maybe go 2 L and direct pitch the whole thing as you likely won't have time to ferment out, cold crash, and decant. 2L is about the largest starter I direct pitch, as anything larger will really start to influence your final brew. This will still be underpitching some, but not by a large amount.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll just use the 2 packets of dry. This is my 3rd all grain, so I definitely underestimated the amount of time to step up a starter.

Latest posts

Back